Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Printing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrulez

MIS
Jun 27, 2005
US
I have a HP Color LaserJet 1500 connected via USB to a XP pro desktop. When I try to install the driver, it does not complete. I get an error in device manager showing IEEE 1284.4 Printing support with a yellow exclamation point. I tried installing the printer on another XP computer, it works fine. I’ve checked MS support, they mention something about this printing protocol automatically installing and nothing needs to be done on my part. Any ideas? Your help is appreciated.

IN Device Manager, go to the IEEE 1284.4 Printing support
and see if you can update the driver and let XP find the driver for you and see if it will work properly. The yellow exclamation mark shows that it's not functioning properly.

Hope that helps,

Erik

Sounds as though your USB ports are malfunctioning. Do you have anything else connected USB? If so and it works try taking it out and plugging the printer into the one that you know works. If not Go to Device manager and try updating the drivers for the root hub.

. Also XP will notify you when you have plugged something in USB ensure it is reckognized by XP. If not most likely bad ports.

I do have another device plugged into USB port, I tried plugging this printer into a new port and used new cables, it still gave me the error. I will try updating the USB root hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back