Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB power loss 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigger321

Technical User
May 21, 2005
GB
Hi all, just wondering if you could help me with this problem.

I recently changed from dial-up to broadband via a usb modem. since upgrading ive noticed that all of my usb ports will lose power (this is a random occurance, sometimes i can surf for 10 mins and it will happen other times it can last 6 hours before cutting out). by losing power i mean that all of the lights on the front of the modem go out, as do all the lights on the front of my usb hub.

I contacted the supplier and they have sent me a new modem, but the problem still persists. i have no idea why this could be, but i am beggining to believe the problem could be my computer, could this be so?

This problem is really getting to me because once the powers gone; the computer hangs if i try to restart the machine; hangs if i unplug the modem and plug it back in again; and of course the machine gives me a ticking off if i press the reset button!

im running windows ME, i have 2 usb ports at the back of the machine (i tried to find out if the are 1.1 or 2.0 but im not sure how). in the first usb socket i have the adsl modem, and in the second i have a four way usb hub with a printer and scanner connected.

I would be very grateful for any help in this matter, if i havent covered anything just ask, thanks in advance.

Sounds like there isn't enough power for your all your usb devices.

Its better to use a USB hub with its own power source, than one that takes power directly from the PC, this is why...

Try this, disconnect EVERYTHING USB. Plug in only the DSL modem directly to the computer. Does it work okay now? You'll probably need to replace and/or upgrade your power supply.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks for your reply Matt, the usb hub im using is indeed self powered, which is the main reason why i cant figure out why the lights cut out.

i tried disconnecting the hub anyway though but the problem still persists.

i had a look at device manager (while the lights were on) and it said that the device is working properly, and that it required 500 miliamps, next to which it said 500 miliamps were available.

do you have any other ideas?

Okay, did you try the test I suggested?

Try this, disconnect EVERYTHING USB. Plug in only the DSL modem directly to the computer. Does it work okay now? You'll probably need to replace and/or upgrade your power supply.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I have tested with only the modem plugged in, but it still cuts out. today i also had a look inside the tower for loose connections etc but found nothing wrong except some dust which i removed. but this has not solved the problem either. can i buy a new usb port to go into the back of the computer? do you think that it would solve the problem? thanks once again for your help with this problem.

So either the hub or the pc, this happens...

Okay, a couple of things to consider:

1. Power supply may be faulty (I know your hub was self powered, but I'm still suspicious)
2. BIOS update required (I really hate recommending these, but in your case, its worth checking out)
3. USB bus not working properly (if BIOS update doesn't fix it, you might try a USB PCI adapter)

Matt J.

Thanks once again for your help. Just wondering why do you hate recomending a BIOS update? Im inclined to think that maybe the USB bus is faulty, but obviously i could be wrong. when i had a look inside the machine i was expecting the USB bus to have its own little circuit board so that it could be easily replaced, but it would seem that it is actually part of the motherboard, is this correct?
Also (sorry for my ignorance) but would you mind explaining a little more what a USB PCI adator does?

Yes its correct part of the mainboard. A USB PCI adapter is a card you can plug into one of the white USB slots. If the main USB bus is faulty, then this will allow you to bypass that by running your USB devices over the PCI bus. They're fairly cheap. BIOS updates are risky, if there is a power fluctuation or if the floppy disk goes bad in the middle of the process, you can be left with a dead mainboard. I've only ever done it but maybe 5 times out of the hundredes of systems I have worked on, and I can only recall ONE of those times that it acutally worked.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back