Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB ports work for mouse/keyboard but nothing else 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PortyAL

Technical User
May 13, 2005
GB
Hi

Recently rebuilt my sisters PC after a faulty motherboard and power supply had been replaced. The system is working fine except for one issue:-

All USB ports work with the keyboard and mouse, but don't work for anything else, e.g. printer, camera, USB drive.

As far as I'm aware the replacement motherboard is the same as the orignal one, and the hard disk was not affected by the fault, so all original drivers are still present.

This is the first time I've built a PC as such, so maybe I've missed something simple.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

AL

PortyAL
Go into the bios and look for reference to USB ports, make sure all are enabled.
Also if you have wired the front USB headers? make sure you have the VCC, Data-, Data+ and Ground correctly connected to the right pin outs.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

go into Device Manager>usb controllers>

double click on your Root Hubs and then click on Power. Mine all show 500mA available....

Does the computer lock up when it attempts to print or transfer files through USB? Some buggy USB controllers don't work properly and have the problem you've described - only working with really simple devices. I've experienced on motherboards with old VIA chipsets. If it's a board from the earlier days of USB, you might just need to get a modern USB card.

When I fixed this on my sister's computer, my research indicated that NEC chips work well, so I bought a card with an NEC controller on it and it worked perfectly. That was about 1-2 years ago though.

make sure you have the VCC, Data-, Data+ and Ground correctly connected to the right pin outs.
If the ports are working at all, then you probably have them plugged in correctly. Don't reverse the connection unless you're really sure it's wrong - you're likely to burn out the ports.

Thanks for all your advice.

Have not had time to check the PC as yet, but will report back in due course.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back