Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb ports stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank99jc

Technical User
Aug 23, 2003
GB
i have printer,scanner,md player,camera,everything was working ok, now i keep getting communication error check cable, i have swapped cables they still dont work,tried differant virus checkers all clear, does anyone have any ideas

Well I don't have enough info to make a guess. If you could give us the OS you are using, the motherboard make and model, and any other info you think we might be able to use maybe we can come up with an answer.

I would try possibly re-installing one of the programs. I had the same problem with my MP3 Player and when i re-installed the program it worked. Just an idea

i've got win 98 se,not sure of motherboard make but award bios,via chipset,amd 800,512ram,32mb nvidia graphcs card,creative sound card everything was fine all 4 ports stopped working at the same time i've tried reinstalling all the drivers (think it might be time to upgrade)if you cant help

Did you blow the USB drivers out of device manager and restart?

Also, reboot into dos and run a Scanreg /Restore from C:\Windows\Command

Make sure that USB is enabled in BIOS.
If that's ok, then check for any problems with USB in Device Manager.
If there are none, then do as shaner66 says and start in Safe mode, remove all USB items from Device Manager, and restart normally.
If still no luck, then your USB controller may be bad.
Also, if your using a USB PCI card, then try it in a different slot.

deleted all usb drivers out of device manager, all usb are enabled in bios ran a dos scanreg/restore still no working usb device manager still says working ok(any more ideas)please.

do you have two usb ports on the back of the tower? Both are being used? is one of the ports not working.. Did you try using just one port. then switch cable and check again.. this way you can see if it is the wire, the applicaiton or the usb itself.

I had a problem with one of my usb ports., it just quit.

I did all the same things as you to try and fix. went and bought a usb hub with 4 inputs and use one of my usb ports now and set the mouse back to serial, and the scanner and printer on paralell ports. I don't realy trust those little usb ports to a good ol' 9 pin or 25 pin jack....

Try blowing the VID entries out of the registry.

HKEY_Local_Machine - System - CurrentControlSet - Enum - USB and delete the entries that refer to your host controller.

Restart computer and try again.

Also, download this file to test Windows and your USB ports, make sure everything checks out ok.

tried using both built in ports and four on pci card and using separate 4 port usb hub still dont work.tried shaner66 there is no enum after currentcontrolset but there is one after system is this the entry i want there are loads of vid entries not sure which are for host controller,can you help.downloaded file it says everything ok.

The keys should be in this location

HKEY_Local_Machine - System - CurrentControlSet - Enum - USB - Root_Hub

But if you found them somewhere else, don't worry about it too much. Just make a backup copy of the registry, like you should always do before modifying the registry. Go to file - Export, and give it a name, place it somewhere that you can find it if needed.

Now, when you click on any of those USB VID keys, on the right side of the window, it will list details about that particular key. It should say whether it's for a printer, a scanner, or the Host Controller.

You can usually delete all those USB VID keys with no problems, they should reload when you restart windows. BUT, if you have a USB mouse or keyboard, that can create some problems if you need to log back into Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back