Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB ports not recognizing hardware problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ottawastudent23

Technical User
Sep 11, 2006
CA
Hello everybody,

I've been having some problems with my USB ports, and was wondering if there is anything I can do about it, short of buying a new computer.

My USB ports can no longer recognize my Lexmark printer, digitial camera, or my webcam. All these things used to work on the same computer, and nothing was changed (to the best of my knowledge) between when they were working and stopped working. My keyboard and mouse work (they work in any of the ports and the printer, digi cam and webcqam work in none of the ports); however my keyboard usually is not recognized off startup, and I have to unplug it and plug it back in after the computer is on.

My computer is using windows xp professional and is an AMD athlon 1900+. I have tried reinstalling the software for the devices that aren't working, but that didn't help. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

John

Check in the BIOS & make sure that the USB ports are enabled.

Next thing to try is your chipset drivers. Maybe the usb drivers specifically if they are offered on your motherboard manufacturers website. If that doesn't work you may have some registry keys missing. That gets pretty deep into it. If you don't have a lot of info on you PC then a reinstall of windows would fix it in a jiffy. Keep us updated.

If a reinstal fails you could try a pci usb card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back