Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB port problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

logi2000

Programmer
Jun 17, 2003
CR
i am havin problems using my USB ports. i connect a camera to the USB port, and nothing happens. if i connect that same camera in other computer, it works fine. how can i check or fix my USB ports ?

1. Have you plugged in the device with the computer off, then bootup?

2. What do you see in Device Manager under USB controllers? Any conflicts at all?

Matt J.

Have you installed the motherboard USB drivers?

Have a look in the Device Manager (Start > Settings > Control Panel > System) for any yellow question marks beside USB. If they are present, it indicates that USB is not correctly configured.

i check in device manager. and it says that the device is working properly.

yes i have plugged in the device with the computer off and then bootup

What drives do you normally have apart from the normal,
A: (Floppy)
C: (HD)
D: (HD)
E: (CD-ROM)
?

i only have this drives:
A: (Floppy)
C: (HD)
D: (HD)
E: (CD-ROM)
--
F: (mapped network drives)

I just had the same problem with a USB Wirless mouse not wanting to install, or even be noticed when I plugged in the cord. (After downloading Microsoft's USB patch KB 822603).

When I went into the Device Manager and went to the USB devices, I checked them one by one, and the Intel USB 2.0 Enhanced Host controller did not have a driver installed. Once I installed that, everything worked fine.

So, basically, check to make sure that all of your Host controllers actually do have a dirver (update the drive just to make sure).

Good Luck!

Jim Johnson
I.S. Manager
Evanston Regional Hospital

Also check to see if it could have been install under outher, Hardware that appear in the Yellow outher box will not work or be detected by system until removed from the outher box.

The problem i believe is in your mapped network drive (F:), try disconnecting it then reboot, then try the camera again does this show up as your F: drive?

Way to go bcastner thanks for the web link...yet another a star....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back