Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB PCI Card for DL380 G3

Status
Not open for further replies.

richgill

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2000
GB
Anyone know of a PCI USB card for an HP DL380 G3 running Windows 2003? Most cards available make no mention of supporting Windows 2003.
Thanks.

No, sorry. We have not yet had the need to put one in any of our servers.

Thanks for that! I had seen that site but, according to the Adaptec web site, it doesn't support Windows 2003! (Although I think this card is in the Windows 2003 HCL). Maybe I should just buy it and try it out!

Hi richgill,

Did this PCI card work for you? I too want to attach a monster USB drive to my DL380 G3.

Thanks!

I couldn't get that card. I think I ended up getting this one:
Works just fine.

Although, after buying the card, i got an email from Belkin telling me their cards work with Windows 2003.

regs
Richard

Well if you believe what I was told by Belkin then yes. I am a bit surprised that they don't advertise that fact though! (On their web site that card supports Windows® 98 SE, Me, 2000, OS, or XP with USB 2.0 support). You could send them an email asking the same and, if it doesn't work, you should be able to take the product back!

I also have a DL380 G3 that I am attempting to add USB 2.0 support to. I bought a PCI card and attempted to add it to the Server but noticed that the G3 is PCI-X so the pins on the card did not fill all of the available pins on the board. The USB card you have posted seems to be standard PCI as well so how did you get it to work correctly?

I switched servers to an ML370 G3. Much more quiet then the DL380 G3, which only has two fan speeds. Anyway I put it the Belkin F5U220-V1 5-Port USB 2.0 PCI Card - F5U220V1 in the ML370 G3 and it worked without any driver. Sweet!

Good luck!

I take it that the ML370 G3 has a standard 32 bit pci slot and not the longer 64 bit version, correct?

thovorka - the DL380 G3 has two 64-bit, 100Mhz PCI-X slots and one 64-bit, 133MHz PCI-X slot. You can use a PCI card in a PCI-X slot so long as it is 3.3V (slot near front of card). You can also use a 32-bit card in a 64bit slot - so don't worry that it seems too short!

The ML370 G3 has six 64-bit, 100MHz PCI-X slots (that right magoo42?)

regs
Richard

Richard,

I am sure they are the PCI-X slots (very long slots). The card I used fits into half of the long slot and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Jim

I'm going crazy trying to get USB 2.0 support in my DL 380 G3 server! I'm running Win SBS2003 and otherwise everything is working perfectly with this server.

It has 3 PCI-X slots- Slot 1 is PCI-X 133MHz (non-hot swap) and the other 2 - slots 2 & 3 are PCI-X 100MHz hot swap.

Here's the problem...

Card 1. First card I tried was ST Labs (VIA Chipset)- 3+1 USB 2.0 - Tried it in all 3 slots- the lights on the server front panel flash amber/green (never seen amber before!!) and the server won't boot. Took it out and tried in a desktop gigabyte PC- & of course it works fine!

Card 2. Second card I tried was Chronos (VIA Chipset) 5 Ports.
In Slot 1 the server complains during bios boot that card is PCI header 2 and cannot be configured by BIOS- card will have to be configured by OS... but when 2003 Server screen appears you get a Blue Screen with NMI Parity Error...
In slot 2 or 3 server boots up normally and detects new device. Win2003 loads native VIA USB 2 drivers. All seems OK... but

If you try to plug in a USB flash device (in this case USB 2 imation 1G) wham! the server blue screens and that damn 'NMI parity error is back'. However if you boot with the device attached- all is well and you can read/write to it- no problems.

I also tried a USB 2.0 Tape Drive (HPDAT72). Installs driver okay, seems to work when you use NTBackup to write to the device, but it always seems to fail during the Verify with a 'Hardware error- failure to read from the device'. I've tried a completely new Tape Drive unit- several new tapes and all do the same thing- fails on Verify about at about 85% done. It all leads me to think that the USB 2.0 card is either flaky or the PCI-X bus is doing some weird **it with the USB 2.0 card.

Went out and bought a 3rd card to try. This time a SWANN (NEC Chipset) USB 2.0 5 Port but alas when I went to install it noticed it will not allow me to fit it as there is only one notch in card, but 2 notches in slot.

I'm hoping someone else can help me? Perhaps there is something in the BIOS (hidden advanced settings???) that I can use to make a PCI-X slot in this beast behave?

Thanks. Daz

Go get:

Belkin F5U220-V1 5-Port USB 2.0 PCI Card - F5U220V1

It works for me.

Hi Jim. I can source that card here. Do you have any problems when plugging/unplugging devices & what slot worked for you?
Thanks.

see my post above at: 27 Jun 07 12:00

I put it in the 1st slot. I dont think that mattered though!

I also think those sata/usb cards are pretty cool too and I amd dying to try them to run an external SATA drive. I just ordered a:

Buslink 9-Port 2 SATA 4 USB2.0 3 Firewire PCI Card

It says it supports W2K3.

Jim

Yes USB 2.0 into ML370. Easy just add a card. I have tried a no brand card. Installs, BIOS adds IRQ for what appears to be each external port. Attach large USB hard disk - NMI reporting on the PCI slot. Have tried several of the available PCI slots. Also NMIs if disk attached when starting machine.

Added StarTech 6 port USB card. Disabled on board USB. Disabled COM port gave its IRQ to installed card disabled 3 out of 4 of the ports in BIOS. Card seems to work, including hot plugging to at least 2 out of its 4 external ports. After 2 hours heavy work (backing up to external USB disk) NMI again. So close and yet so far!

Is it the iLO - apparently acts as USB device? If I disable this will it work? Or disable all IRQs appearing for the card in BIOS? I have just bought the recommended Belkin card (well version + A1 or something so probably will not work!). Is this a simple install and it works or is there something more to it than this? I am one or so BIOS etc. updates behind current. Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks for prompt feedback. Will try Belkin as is and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back