Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB over Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantwilliams

Programmer
Sep 8, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a custom USB device which I need to place approximately 12 metres away from my laptop. Trouble is that the USB standard only allows 5 metres of cable and I'm not in a position to be able to use extension cables (with joins in the cables every 5 metres) nor have powered hubs every 5 metres also.

I'm thinking my best option is to use a USB over Ethernet connection however these are quite expensive. Does anyone know where I can get the schematics to create this connection?

Or, does anyone have a better idea? e.g. would using a USB to RS-232 connection work?

Thanks in advance!

Grant

What exactly is the device that you are trying to build?

Have you considered going wireless?

You probably already know USB is four wires... 5V, GND, data in, and data out.

You will need a RS-422 line driver & line receiver for each end which can be wired on a small prototype board. The 12 metre wiring between them should be twisted pairs (shielded would be better). You already have 5 volts available on the laptop end, and you'll need to have 5 volts available on the other end (ac-dc adapter or other). Maxim makes RS-422 transceivers that could do this with one chip per end.

Ok Frank4d - you peeked my interest - could you expand on this concept? Maybe a little (This wire goes here, that wire goes there) type of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back