Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB on Win2k stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasmarh

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
[I originally posted this on the Palm-based palmtop forum-
it really belongs with general Win 2k issues]
I recently set up a wireless home network with a Linksys AP/router. In the past few days, I had been attempting to enable file/printer sharing between a Athlon/Windows 2000 desktop machine and my Win 98 SE notebook over the network. That hasn't been successful, but the more critical problem is that neither USB device attached to the Win 2k machine can find a connection. The installation of the network initially wasn't a problem, as the USB port had been successfully used to sync a Handspring PDA less than a week prior to my tinkering with file/print share. The USB hubs and controllers show as "working properly" on the Device Manager. Is it possible that my fooling with Windows-Windows networking could have messed up the USB ports? Is there an easy way for me confirm that the hardware itself is OK?

If you have another USB computer you can hook stuff into, that'll let you know if it's the device or the USB hub on your computer. Also, you could try to remove the USB hub in the Device Manager and let Windows re-detect it on the reboot. Jennifer Sigman
Barely employed

how to fine if you have a usb which is not working

pug it in and install
reboot into windows
shutdown
wait for five minies
boot it up
still not working
pull out the usb cable and put back in
and if it works
usb still not working
check Device Manager
Device Manager can give a report saying hardware is ok
when you see yellow ?
A> drivers
b> need to be turn on
looks very like a the mainboard but the usb side of it has
went down

I did plug the USB device (the Handspring [Palm OS] cradle) into my notebook and it worked. I tried uninstalling the USB host and controllers and reinstalling at boot, but it didn't solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back