Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB on M598 : Help me, please !!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBaptista

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
BR
My PC has the following hardware configuration::

MotherBoard M598LMR Super Socket 7
RAM 64MB PC100
HDD MAXTOR ATA66
OS WIN98SE

My Problem: I am trying to use the USB ports (or even the PS2 port) thru the optional ATX FORM CARD adapter (near KB plug) unsucessfully.

The system simply ignores any device I try to plug on it.

I have enabled USB options on BIOS SETUP, and the OS accepts and
recognizes the USB Root and Host Adapter, and it appears on
ControlPanel/System/Device panel.

The USB Optical Mouse (Leadership) I am trying to use is ok (I have
tested on a ASUS CUV4X).

Is there anything else I could do ???

Have USB ever been functional on this Mobo anytime ??

The ATX Form card have more than on model ? Different pinouts ??

I could use the PS2 plug to adapt this optical mouse, but this Mobo has only one adapter to PS2 ----> via this ATX Form Card.

Any Help will be welcome...... Gracias

Have you tried installing software that came with the mouse. For instance if it is MS then you could download intellipoint software and that might help windows recognize your mouse. Or have you tested any other USB devices?

-Brad

The form card for those boards only had one revision, as far as I know. As long as you purchased that form card specifically for a PC Chips board, it should work. If you used a different brand (like ASUS), then it will not work.
If windows detects the root hub, then when you plug that mouse in, it should at least "find new hardware". If not, possibly try another ATX form card (remember...windows installed the Root Hub etc. that is ON THE MOTHERBOARD. That form card mostly allows you to plug something into it).

Also, some of those PC Chips boards have a different setting in BIOS for PS/2 port than they do for USB. You might check that to get PS/2 working.

1) The dammed ATX Form Card is not a PCChips brand neither a ASUS brand (ASUS comes with only USB ports).
By looking at the printed circuit, I see:

Made in China
P & Q
0115CM-194V-0
Rev.1.0

So: I don`t know if its the right piece of sh...

2) In the SETUP there is no option for PS2 mouse. Only US Function and USB Function for DOS.

The AMIBIOS is somewhat smart, since it detects CPU type and settles Vcore, etc..

3) BIOS date is 10/28/1999S
There is an BIOS update 2K11222S, which, obviously, I am afraid of applying. Do you think it would solve my problem ???

4) I agree that W98 detecting USB Hub/Adapter means the MB feature would be functional, and that only Card Pinout could be messing up the mouse connection to the board .... BIOS updating would not make +5V get to the mouse (and make it light up)...

I don`t know what more to do to make it work.....

I don't have an ATX form card handy to doublecheck the #s off of it, but that brand does not print a brand on the card. It is probably the right one. BIOS version will not likely solve the problem, but...... I'll try to locate a form card and get back to you.

Can't find the form card to compare against. BTW, there were some Asus form cards with PS/2 on them (and I think IR). They were used for the super7 series boards. They do have an Asus logo on them, though.

I am at a bit of a loss at this point. Assuming the ATX Form card is the correct one, I lean towards bad hardware somewhere. Good luck.

Hey JBaptista, just occurred to me....I have seen some people that have plugged that adapter onto the motherboard header and missed a whole row of pins. Is it possible that it is not plugged correctly??? You might double check it, as those little mistakes happen to us all eventually!

Thanks, I have check it too.
That was not the case ......

Have you tried installing the software before plugging in the usb device, My camera tells me to Install software first before pluging device in. If your unsure....Dont do it!

I have tried everything, even thought re-install Windows.

Useless.

The mouse should light up when connected to the plug, as it have happened on another PC (Asus board).....

Checking out the pins which should be at +5V I have got 0 V.
While others (should USB or mouse data or GND ) showed +5v.

I am about to give up and return the USB device, or throw the dammed MoBo away.....

You've got me...it you actually checked the voltage on the pinout on the motherboard itself and get nothing (or wrong voltage), then I think that you have found your problem. I hate to give you bad news, but it sounds like you have just about run through your options......unless....

on the ATX form card, is the ribbon cable on the card itself removable? If so, is it keyed so that it can only be plugged in one way? Worth a check. Short of that, I am out of ideas (unless you switch MB). Sorry for the bad news.

ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE SEE ANYTHING WE MISSED????

OK, guys.

I have run out of ideas/options. I'm giving up the dammed M598 USB ports.

Thank you all on assisting me.

PS: Someone told me about changing FSB frequency would cause better stability and better thruput ........ they seemed to be right, the PC seems to run a little faster and (up till now) I have not been frozen. However, the USB port keeps unusable.

Special thanks to mudskipper special efforts.

Thanks, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back