Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB mouse not getting detected right 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben64

Technical User
Dec 7, 2002
US
Right now, I'm using crappy windows mousekeys because the mouse doesn't work. Please help me out.

Not sure if this is relevant (i've had this mouse working before)

anyway - AMD XP 2000+ on MSI K7 Master (MS-6341)

and...I had some hard drive issues - got them resolved, got my 40GB back up and running.

The mouse - Kensington USB mouse-in-a-box scroll
driver I used to use - USB human interface device
what it detects when i plug mouse in - Unknown Device (under USB tab)

Any other info you need, don't hesitate to post, I will be checking here every 5 minutes or so.

What operating system?

Do you have the disk that came with the mouse that has the actual drivers on it?

Does this mouse work prooperly when plugged into another similar system? Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

Yep seems to be a driver prob, if you can't get hold of your driver CD then try this link:

It claims it supports USB Mice from Kensington under Windows 98 up to XP

Note you'll find it under "56. Kensington" on that page before Winzip!

Jamie

The problem I have, is that I do have the drivers, and yes, it does work in another system, but my system automatically detects it as "unknown device" without bringing up that box to look for an appropraite driver.

Ben64,
Did you solve your problem with the sound blaster card?

I have a suggestion for this problem that may or may not work, it might be nice to find out. Just as I would like to know if the one's suggested for the sound card thread602-422944 worked or didn't work.

Perhaps Mulga would like to know if he helped you with the "Dibeng" problem thread602-423401.

At least wolluf has had some joy from you thread751-422981.

Feedback encourages people to help you - keeping it to yourself just means that some people will not help you in the future.

Regards.

"...but my system automatically detects it as "unknown device" without bringing up that box to look for an appropraite driver."
Go into the Device Manager, click on the "unknown device", click on it and (depending on your OS, you didn't answer that question) click on Properties or Update Driver, then update the driver to the one you have. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

JennITChick,
That was almost my suggestion - but not quite.

I have a little bit more to share if Ben64 is willing to share with me ;-) .

Or perhaps some other "spoiler" is going to step in and "give" the answer away without getting some feedback on the other threads.

This forum is a give and take place, which is not I give and you take.

BTW, I have been wondering about your sig. Sorry to see it has changed for the worse.

Regards.

Not all motherboards support bootable USB ports. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I am using Windows 98

Sorry to Win98User - I haven't gotten around to that yet, that question was before my hard drive issue, when sound was my only gripe, now, I would much rather get a mouse first, then get good sound.

And to JennITChick - Since "Unknown Device" is under the USB tab, and the driver I want is under "Mouse" tab, I cannot choose that from Update Driver

Hi Ben64,
Nice to see that you are still talking to me :) .
I see you have been busy on the threads giving out advice - good for you.

Now I have never had a USB device that didn't install, so I am only guessing; hence it would be nice to know if it works or not.

What I would do is the following;
Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add New Hardware/Next/Next/Next/Next

Windows will then have a look for any unknown devices.

Windows will either find the mouse and so you can go through the installation process etc. Otherwise windows will invite you to install it manually. Choose mouse and then click "Have Disk" and then browse to your driver.

No reason it should work.

All the best.

Windows went through all that detecting stuff, but didn't find any new devices, so I went through manually, as you suggested. Everthing was going fine until that screen "Windows can install blah blah blah....."

So I clicked finish, then the best thing happened (sarcasm)

BSOD

I wrote down what it said, hope it can help you help me. :)

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:FF03F034 in VXD usbhub(01) + 00000ED4. The current application will be terminated.

Sorry,
That's not in my line.

All I would suggest is that you try it again with as few background programmes running as possible.

Regards.

Win98User - Thank you so much for trying to help me. I got the thing to work, and I will tell you (and everyone) how I did.

(not sure which part actually did the fixing)
I restarted my computer
I disabled both USB controllers and both USB hubs from safe mode
I installed the new 4 in 1 drivers from I restarted
I enabled all the USB devices I disabled
I plugged in the mouse

It bought up the "Search for driver" box.
And the rest...........is pretty much self-explanatory
Win98User, thanks for your dedicated help, I present you with this little purple star.
star.gif

Interesting observation, though I think it is closer to Purple than Pink.

It's Barney purple. I see where it could be confusing! Jim

Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back