Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB modem\Unknown device\Cannot read port name from registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkwind

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
AU
I have this darn problem with my Netcomm Roadster USB modem.
I've had it installed fine many times before. Now upon installing it says that the device is unknown, i feed it the drivers and it says that they aren't specifically written for the device :-(

I install them anyway and upon trying to veiw modem properties in devive manager it gives me "Failed to call EnumPropPages modemui.ddl" error followed by a "Cannot read port name from registry"
Then says the device is working properly ....?????
Upon dialing up my ISP it says modem is not pluggged in or isn't working properly.
I have formatted and reinstalled WIN98 twice and no gains so my gut is telling me it's a bios problem.
I set BIOS to default just in case and still no improvement.
This problem started after a LAN party where a Hardcore Comp freak screwed around with few settings through Regedit and in BIOS.
Have no idea, need help :-(

I use a USB modem. I have to install the drivers before connecting the Modem to the PC. this might be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back