Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB modem disconnection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharrisreid

Programmer
Nov 17, 2000
GB
I am using a Hayes Accura ISDN terminal adapter connected to my laptop via a USB port. When I want to disconnect the modem, because I am using XP pro, I cannot simply unplug the modem from the USB port without getting the famous blue-screen-of-death (BSOD) and having to reset the pc.

The 'correct' way is to 'safely' disconnect the modem via an icon in the icon tray, but I always get the message "The device USB ISDN TA128 CE cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it." As far as I can see there are no services or programs in the task manager using the modem. Is there any way of being able to see what programs are using the device, or is the error message misleading?

Alternatively, is there any other way of disconnecting the modem without getting the BSOD (incidentally the message is "Multiple IRP Complete Requests")?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Check the registry for running processes:
Start -> Run -> Type "regedit" and hit enter

check under HKey_Local_Machine -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Run

Also try looking under HKey_Current_User -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Run

there should be a list of processes the computer starts automatically each time it's started, check to see if any of these is accessing the modem.

If you don't find anything there check under:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
this lists all the services on your xp (running or stopped) check if any of the running services is accessing the modem.

A WORD OF CAUTION: changes to both registry and services can corrupt your OS environment, be sure to backup the registry before changing it and check the dependencies before stopping any service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back