Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Mass Storage Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdietz

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
US
We have a USB Hard drive we use for backups and the computer here at work will no longer access it. We can take it off site and hook it to our system there and it works fine.

We run XP pro at work and 98, me, nad XP off site.

The CD that came with the drive has no drivers on it for XP (in fact the only drivers were for Mac. How do I delete the driver native to XP and then reinstall it?

Could you be more specific (what device) and also Does your system recognize the drive at all? if so you can go to device manager and unisnstall the driver or roll back

For XP it unlikely needs a driver.

Access Device Manager, and uninstall the USB root HUB on the problem system. Restart Windows and let it rediscover the device.

An upgrade to SP2 is recommended for this machine, but be certain in the alternative that your are up-to-date on your USB drivers:

Some common "gotchas" with removable USB devices:

. Try a powered USB hub rather than a non-powered USB port
. If you are on a network, it is possible you have mapped a network share drive letter over the placeholder drive letter given by XP to the removable drive. For example, if the removable drive used to appear as Drive F:, see if it reappears if you Start, Run, net use f: /delete /y

I have had this very problem, it is the generic USB contoller software that is integral to XP, thats why it will work on your other machines because hey use 3rd party drivers. As above delete and reinstall fron the devices menu or how I did it was to run the win XP disc and go for the repair win xp option and reload the corrupt driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back