Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Mass Storage Device - Code 10 : This device cannot start

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEM25

Vendor
Mar 7, 2004
AU
When I connect my digital camera up to my USB, the drive does not show up in My Computer. When I check Device Manager it shows a little yellow circle with a black exclamation mark, next to which is a the name of my camera and 'USB Device'. When I double-click on this, I am told that 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'. The Device Type is: Disk drives; Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives); Location: on USB Mass Storage Device.

It was working fine two days ago. However, I accidentily unplugged the device without stopping it. Could this have caused the problem? And how can I fix it????

Thanks for any advice given.

Might be worth trying to re-install the driver for the camera. USB devices do tend to throw the dolly out the pram when you "pull" them out.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, the documentation that came with the camera said that with Windows 2000, it is not necessary to install a separate driver as it is already present. And, the first few times that I plugged the camera into the USB, the device WAS working fine.

I have tried re-installing SP4, but it does not help. I will now try 'upgrading' my OS using the Windows 2000 setup disk to see if it re-installs the necesary driver.

I'll let you know the result.

Tried that Hotfix, but unfortunately it did not help. I also tried re-installing Windows 2000 over the current 2000 installation, but during setup I was told that Windows was unable to re-install.

It looks like I may well have to do a clean install. This problem has happened before and I clean-installed that time too as I wanted to partition my hard drive at the time. It's getting a bit annoying if I'm going to have to kepp doing this!

Any other ideas????

SOLUTION

I phoned up the Olympus Helpdesk. The only thing that was suggested which I had not done already was to check whether some new software my have been causing a conflict with the driver. I decided to clean-install anyway. I then installed software gradually, checking after each install to make sure the camera was still connecting properly. I found out that when Roxio GoBack is installed (even if I disabled it) the camera driver would not start. I uninstalled GoBack and the camera connected fine. I tried this a few times and came to the conclusion that it was definitely GoBack causng the conflict.

I have re-installed GoBack, but will uninstall it whenever I need to download photos. Any better suggestions???

Do yourself a favor, remove GoBack.

I really liked it under Win9x, and really hate it under XP.

System Restore is sufficient under XP. (It is not the same as the GoBack notion, but it does work and is free).

I have a test workstation using a GoBack Alternative: so far so good, but I have really not challenged it: It is "First Defense - Isr: by Raxco Software. (Free trial available). (Microsoft uses and licensed their defrag utility in the native XP install. I trust and respect the company products):
Because someone will yell at me if I do not: I do not work for RAXCO.COM, nor have I ever been in a paid postion with this company. I have not spend much time with the RAXCO product, but it seems a better choice than GoBack at the moment. But this might be a long prejudice about anything issued or written from ROXIO.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check that out and see how it goes.

Norton GoBack 4.0

I tried that link, but found it was only a demo version.

I have now installed Norton GoBack 4.0. The removable drive still shows up in My Computer when I connect my camera to the USB port. Norton GoBack causes no other problems either. So, all is looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back