Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB issues with XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodomen

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
US
Hey there,

Just installed XP on a system that was running ME (yuck) and everything was going smoothly for the first day. However, on the second day, the computer would NOT shut down, no matter how many times I tried. It kept REBOOTING instead!!! Because I have a number of USB devices, I was using a (fairly new) USB hub to plug everything in. I've got a hunch that the hub might be part of the problem, but note that I didn't have it with the ME system.

Anyone know of any compatibility issues with XP supporting USB?

Any help would be appreciated!

+Melanie-

I have WinXP dual-booting with Win98 on a notebook and it works fine with both a USB CD-RW and USB Zip250 plugged into both ports, not using a hub yet.

I don't know about the hub being a factor, but I have a number of "legacy" USB devices that I use with WinXP and Win2K.

These devices are "not supported on XP" but I have gotten them running, usually with NT4 drivers.

Using these devices I have found that I must be sure to power them down via the tray applet (that thing that looks like a PCMCIA card and a green arrow). If I don't do this, Win2K gets a blue-screen on shutdown, and WinXP does some amazing things but doesn't ever shut down right.

All I can find on this topic is that it relates to Windows power management changes that started on Win2K.

Newer USB devices (i.e. those with real Win2K/XP support) don't do this, and I can just shut down without taking any special action.

I hope this helps, at least as a hint of what to try/look for.

I temporarily lost my USB ports on my installation of XP Home Edition. I tried everything short of re-installing XP. Luckily after much hacking and searching for the answer I finally just moved my NIC card and Modem out of their slots to un-used slots and my USB ports were finally recognized again! I heard that a fresh inventory of the devices takes place if you add or remove new hardware to slots. I have not pin-pointed the exact task that I performed that could have confused the registry. There were three things using IRQ 10. That is not supposed to be a problem... but... get this... now I have five things using IRQ 10 and it works! What's that all about??? Oh well, if it ain't broke now...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back