Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB in Windows 98 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equim

Technical User
Sep 9, 2007
US
I have a Dynex USB port made for Win 98 and for some reasson it will not properly install. Please give suggestions, ask further questions and what not. Thanks!

Please clarify "will not properly install".

Does Windows 98 find new hardware when you boot up after inserting the card?

Are you inserting a disk with suitable drivers, assuming it asks for them?

Any error message(s) anywhere?

Or what...

Assuming you've tried the drivers that may have been supplied with the USB card, it might be worth checking the Dynex website to see if there are any updated drivers.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Yes, it did find new hardware, I did install all the drivers the disc provided. When I look at it under the devices channel and they have a little yellow exclamation point. I checked one and it said something about missing BIOS. All the others say it is not responding or not all the drivers are installed. I looked on the disc but found nothing else. Thanks for replying by the way.

As you've used a plug-in PCI card, I take it the motherboard must be fairly old not to have on-board USB ports.

Look on the disk that came with the card to see if there's any kind of installation programme to run.

You could try moving the card to a different PCI slot. Check the BIOS to see if IRQs are automatically allocated to specific PCI slots. If possible, allocate an IRQ not currently in use to the slot in which the USB card is placed.

And, as mentioned before, check Dynax website for any possible updated drivers.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Equim,
Realize that most PCI USB 2.0 cards I've seen require Win98SE (Second Edition) or later version of Windows.

And even then, I've found that some cards that say they're Win98SE compatible won't always work. I think the motherboard and other PCI devices in the system can come into play, and you may even want to try a clean install.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Okay, First I would like to thank you for your help thus far. I have narrowed down the possibilities. The USB hardware itself is windows 98 compatible. The IRQ in the MS-Dos screen say NA for all USB materials. Hope that helps you guys help me figure this out.

Yes but what windows 98 version are you on, first edition or second edition?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Yes, if it's a standard USB 1.1 card then it will work with Windows 95 even. But if it's the newer USB 2.0, it will require Win98 Second Edition.

Win98 First Edition won't cut it, at least I haven't seen a USB card manufacturer make the drivers for that edition, probably because Second Edition made a lot of improvements to the USB interface.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back