Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Host controller drivers not remaining installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffJS

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
GB
Hello,

I have recently upgraded a Win98 PC to Windows 2000 (SP4). On the 98 PC the "ALi PCI to USB Host Controller" was functioning fine, picking up the 1 connected USB device (a Mustek Scanner). After upgradingto 2kpro, in the control panel the device is marked as !. If i do a driver update, it finds a driver in the inf directory (I presume the old 98 driver) and installs the device and consequently picks up the USB scanner. However, if the PC is rebooted the driver assignment disappears and you have to reinstall the driver again. I have tried an alternative driver from the website from MS (USB2.0) drivers and from ALi, but with the smae results everytime. I have also tried removing the device and rebooting. Windows picked up the device and installed the driver (ALi one) but after a reboot it was gone again. I have admin rights to the PC but cant understand why it wont keep the settings. Can anybody shed some light on this. The PC BIOS is an AMD Megatrends around end of 99, I have looked for an update but havent found one (unless you know different) The MB reports to be MSI and the USB controller from ALi. Other than this the PC works fine with Win2k. Any help would be appreciated but please excuse the delay in replies as I dont have immediate access to the PC. AMD K2/50 500Mhz 512MB Ram. Win2ksp4 All updates done. I did read that there were newer drivers in SP4 and that I should reinstall the SP4. Is this true of 2k I know it was for NT4.

Many thanks,

Jeff

I have a AMD K2 500Mhz with ALi PCI to USB Host Controller and i too moved from 98 to 2000 and i never got it working.
In the end i bought a PCI to USB card and it's worked fine since.

Hello,

so I'm not the only one then ? I had a look on the ALi website and found a download area but there were no help or instructions on what file to download. I assune there is a way of identifing the chipset (M????) to download the correct driver package. Do you know how to identify it ? If not, just as a matter of interest as yours is working, what USB card did you use ?

Many thanks

I tried loads of different drivers from my mobo manufacturer to ALI with no joy. I can't remember the make of the card i got but no drivers are required as they are built into Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back