Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB HDD Listed as Hard Disk -- How to change this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vondo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2006
I have a WD External USB 250GB HDD. When I connect it to the computer, WinXP list it as a Hard Drive. I need it to be listed as a Removable Device. Is there a way to force XP PRO to change the Removable HDD that I have to a Removable Device?

I need this Removable Device distinction for archiving in our company software.

Thanks in Advance.

VonDo

You should be able to simply Right Click on it and Rename it as "Removable Device". I'm using a Seagate 250GB external and when I start it up, it lists it as SEA_DISK (H:), but I can right click on it and rename it whatever I want. It lets me do this to any local disc as well.

This may not be copied over to all users, though. It will however stay that way for the particular user you are on, and then you could copy the settings over to the Default User profile which would probably change the names for everyone who signs on that machine.

-surgeVel

Thanks, I will look at each of your suggestions. I have looked at Lemon13's suggestion, it is a little over my head in the programming area. I will however, look more closely at it.

Just a note, my USB HDD does show up in my "Remove Hardware Safely List. XP just thinks that it is a Hard Disk instead of a Removable Device.

I appreciate the comments and I will let you know how they turn out, If anyone else out there has a suggestion I welcome it. Thanks
Vondo

Vondo - XP thinks it's a hard disk because it is a hard disk.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back