Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB hard drive file sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeelsie1

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
GB
I have just retrieved the 2.5in drive out of my broken laptop. I purchased an enclosure and whacked it into the usb 2 on my new HP. It installs fine but i cannot view any of the files in my administator account, all other user accounts are fine, but i really want to retrieve my Documents. I don't know where to start really, i suppose i could try booting from usb but i don't know if the motherboard supports this or what it will do to the rest of the system. Or is there another way round this problem? I have all passwords etc.
Any help please!

I am logged in as administrator as i have the sole account, i'm using XP Home that came pre installed on the HP desktop. it's the administrator files on the external drive from an old xp laptop install that i can't access. The only solution i see is buying a 2.5-3.5 inch HDD adaptor, booting off the old disk and changing rights to files. Hope that made sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back