Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB hard drive crashing system

Status
Not open for further replies.

minuteman263

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
US
I just bought a Western Digital USB hard drive. I have a desktop that runs an Athlon XP with 512 Meg ram. I have an I Buddy XP laptop running a 1.5 gig Athlon and 128 meg ram. Both have Win 2000 on them. The drive plugs in and works fine on the desktop, however it will instantly freeze the laptop when it is plugged in. If I try to boot with it plugged in, it will not complete the boot and just freezes. The task manager shows the processor at 100% as soon as its plugged in and stays that way when it's unplugged. The only way out of it is to power off.

Any ideas?

Do you have a card reader on your laptop as this has caused my laptop to freeze when attacing a USB drive. no solution but an observation.

Sean

I have an HP photo printer that is also a card reader. I'll unplug it and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back