Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Flash Drive Light and Eject 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Wondering why on XP computers "eject usb flash drive" results in the LED on the flash drive turning off, but it doesn't turn off with windows 7 (even though it's ejected fully). I be crazy or what? Have seen this with the SAME flash drive on the two OSs in my house, so apples to apples comparison.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Does it say safe to eject? If it does then don't worry about it. It could be an "are you still there poll" so it can make a noise when you pull out the flash drive.

Yes, safe to eject in Win7 - light still on. Safe to eject in XP - light turns off. Weird.

I wonder if it has to do with some differences in the USB controller interfaces, Link.

Well, the test for that would be to load Win7 on the XP hardware or vice versa and test behavior but I don't have time for that little bit of analysis.

I have the same issue. It works on XP but the light stays on with Vista and Windows 7. I do get the "safe to eject" message on Vista and 7 but the light stays on. I'm glad you posted this. I have been wondering if anybody else had the same situation.

Jim

I will actually have the opportunity to test this as I'm doing a dual boot (same hard drive) of XP/Win7 this week. All hardware will be the same, so I will report back.

Confirmed: XP turns the LED off and Windows 7 doesn't on the exact same hardware and same flash drive. Interesting yet esoteric knowledge.

Oh, I've noticed on windows 8 that the light goes out.

Jim

Send me a windows 8 COA and I'll check it on MY SPECIFIC HARDWARE, which is what this thread is about.

Why do you need to check things on your SPECIFIC HARDWARE? I thought the thread was about:

Wondering why on XP computers "eject usb flash drive" results in the LED on the flash drive turning off, but it doesn't turn off with windows 7 (even though it's ejected fully)

Kind of general to me... Well, my experience is, XP = light goes out. Win 7 = light stays on. Win 8, I have no boxes it to try it out with. Reason = no clue, other than possible explanations I posted earlier.

You have access to Win 8 boxes, how does it work there?

Because that's a proper test with a control. Same hardware. You couldn't test across hardware and get a proper conclusion. Don't you watch Mythbusters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back