Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB FLASH DRIVE FORMATTED and decreased in size

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren77uk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2001
CA
Hi there,

Not sure if anyone has ever had this issue, but I had a 8gb drive where I ran a HP utility to create a USB Boot Disk, afterformatting it reduced the size to 4gb, then I tried a number of programs to rectify this issue and now I can only see 128mb, very disappointing as the HP software really screwed me up. I tried using a nix based Live CD and tried to fdsik the partition etc, but no luck. I still only see 128mb, any idea on how I can get the other space back? I've tried many utilities out there, maybe someone had a similar issue and can help?

Thanks

Darren,

That's one big sucka. You didn't mention the OS. If Windows, you can format in Disk Management. Or, just plug it into any XP system, go to Disk Management and format, or am I missing something here?

Tony

The OS I use is Windows XP. Tried Disk Management before, doesnt work, I am looking for someone who may have had a similar issue where they used the HP tool where you can turn a USB key into a boot disk, because this is where the problem originated from.

Any help would he much appreciated.

Thanks

Are you using the new version of the HP disk format utility or the older one? (the ne wone has a fancy wizard and i've personally had issues with it, the old one was clean and simple!)

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....

I tried the new version, and that is what killed the drive.

Doesnt work, its still at 128MB, didnt bring it back to its original state. Not sure oh well.

Tried, the guy I bought it from doesnt offer refunds.

Nope, that doesnt work either. Thanks for the advise guys, lets see if anyone else has had the same issue before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back