Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB external HHD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopydawg

Technical User
May 9, 2005
US
Hey everyone, My problem is that i have a 250gig maxtor USB External Hard drive. About every few minutes it likes to run a media check on itself. A Window opens and it starts a scan for media. Then another window opens asking me how i would like to veiw the media. Kinda like when you insert a Disc. How do i keep this from happening? Any hlp would be great. Thank you.

Keedo-

Open "My Computer" right click on the drive and select properties. Click on the Autoplay tape, under content type selct mixed content, under action select "Take no Action" then click on ok. When the drive is attached to the PC it will still be scanned for a auto play file but it will not ask you "What do you want to do?" when it does not find a auto play file.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

thank you One4Thumb and Linney I have not had the problem since i changed the settings on the Autoplay.

Much appreciated.

Keedo-

Also, what length cable are you using? Is it on a laptop or PC?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back