Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb external hard drive not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinster

Programmer
Apr 12, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I had an samsung 400gb hard drive which i used to use in my computer and theres some stuff in it i quite need.

I decided to buy external hard drive case and attach my hard drive inside that. i attached the usb hard drive and the computer recognises it in the task bar icon (when i double click on the icon it says samsung 400gb etc)

When i go to my computer it cant see it....i've gone to disk management and its not seen there either.

My computer is formated to windows ntfs and windows xp. The other hard drive is also been formatted to ntfs.

I've checked the jumper setting and i've put the usb hard drive to master.

So dont know where i gone wrong? is there anything i can do to sort this out?

Did you try the jumper setting as Slave and CS, and also with no jumper?

Can you temporarily attach it back to your computer as a secondary drive, and check its integrity.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

yep i've tried it in cs and slave and also without jumper but no diff.

I can connect the drive back to the computer cos i built a new one and it only uses sata drives now?

Anyother ideas?

and thankyou for replying

I guess you mean you "CANNOT connect the drive back to...". So CD/DVD interface is also SATA...?

Unlikely to be the USB cable or the enclosure's internal USB/IDE interface, otherwise you'd not get the drive recognition in the task bar. So that leaves the drive itself...

Partition table possibly hidden or corrupted? You may be able to use something like GetDataBack to recover the data.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

You really do need to check the disks data condition, put it in another machine, you must know someone who trusts you enough to open up their case for 2 minutes.

I've not seen many MoBo with NO IDE, even if you aren't using them, there are prob IDE sockets which you could use.

The other option is, even though it is unlikely to be a problem with the external casing, you might as well exchange it for a new one (assuming you bought it locally and not through some impossible to return pain in the backside iNet retailer), if you've got your receipt, take it back and say it's not working, and you want to exchange it. They WONT test it. Then try the new one, fruitless possibly, but worth the try whilst you're waiting to test the disk elsewhere.

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant

dinster,
Did you run the install cd that came with the enclosure?

thanks for the replies guys am goin to take the drive back to my moms....ive got another comp which i built 2 years ago so will try it with that.

It is weird though that its being recognised by device manager but not by my computer or disk management. I tried all combinations of jumper settings and yet still no success.

Am more bothered bout the data on the hard drive really.... got some pics of family and friends things that u dont want to loose (sentimental stuff - arrrrrrrrrgh)lol

yep i tried the cd that came with it....it only has drivers for windows 98.... not for xp :s With xp it should b plug and play.

will keep u uptodate with the progress though

thanks every one

dinster,

This use to work for windows 98 which I tried last week, though I can't find this option in XP:

Connect up and power on your external hard drive

Right click on my computer -> click properties

Go to the Hardware tab and click the 'Device Manager' button

Expand the 'Disk drives' menu in the list

Find the hard drive entry associated with the external hard drive.
(**) Right click on it -> click properties

Then under one of the tabs in windows 98 there was a check box for "Removable" or something that enabled it to be recognized as a removable hard drive. I'm not sure why it's not there anymore in XP, but maybe you got it in you OS.

The only option that may be effecting the hard drive that I can think of is in the step above labeled (**). Go to the 'general' tab and under the field labeled 'Device usage' make sure the selection is 'Use this device(enable)'

Let me know what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back