Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB drive remains powered on in hybrid sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPent

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
TR
I finally got vista to work properly with (hybrid)sleep only to find that my external USB hard disk (an old laptop hd connected via usb cables) keeps spinning.

Is there a solution to this? (I checked "power options" for the disk in hardware manager, but there are none)

The USB ports are usually powered, so that the PC can be brought out of hibernation/sleep through a mouse or keyboard...

You could circumvent this by placing a powered HUB in between the laptop and drive, then when you put it to sleep just switch of the HUB and it should cut the power to the drive, or just unplug it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Too bad,

I can't cut the power to the drive that way because I have tasks running that wake the computer up during the night and those need that external drive (for back ups).

Do you think it is bad for the drive to remain spinning?

Not with todays technology, it should only matter if it gets TOO hot...

but to be on the safe side, always monitor the drives S.M.A.R.T. status and at the slightest hick-up replace it...

or do a periodic replacement, e.g. once a year (and use the old drive for storage that do not need constant access, e.g. Movies etc...)

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back