Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb device not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorrscan

Technical User
Feb 16, 2007
IE
Hello,

I'm using a usb switch to share a scanner between two users. One can see the device fine but the other can't connect at all, it says 'usb device not recognised'. I installed intel usb 2.0 drivers and the latest xp sp but it still comes up with the same message. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Try switching ports, to see if the one PC which doesn't recognize the device, now can recognize the device... if that is the case then I believe the USB switch may be damaged...

another thing to try, would be to replace the cable between the switch and the PC with the problem... could just be a bad cable...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

First thing I would do is check that you're plugged into a USB2 port rather than a 1.1 port.

Secondly I would then plug the scanner directly into the pc and install any drivers required.

Next I would swap the cables around, plug the known good cable into the pc that isn't working (using the same port on the switch as well) and try that, if it's working try pluging the bad cable\port into the other users pc and see what happens there, if it's all working now then it was a case that the user needed the scanner drivers installed directly.

If it still doesn't work however then you're either using the 1.1 port I mentioned earlier or you have a broken USB port on the users pc, swapping it to another port may well work but if it doesn't it could be the entire USB bus that's gone.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Thanks all for your help, I have tried all the above. Changing ports, cables but still no joy. The scanner works fine when directly connected to the computer but is not recognised when connected vis the usb 2.0 switch?

What does this "switch" look like? Make? Model #? This may be where the fault lies.

Tony

Users helping Users...

How is this USB switch powered? From the pc or externally???

Also, I've see pc's that no matter what you try, nothing works. Had a compaq pc with USB2 that wouldn't see a web camera for anything. Tried a different brand, and it works perfectly

Its a Lindy USB 2.0 4 port switch. The switch is powered from the attached PC's.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back