Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Controller issue on new XP Pro install 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2000
US
OK, I'm back.

Here's my situation. I have a brand new Dell Dimension 3000 PC. It came with XP Home, because I have a licensed copy of XP Pro I wanted to use on it.

So, the PC arrived. I booted it up in Win XP Home, confirmed that everything worked. Looked through all of the Device Manager, no problems at all.

I then reformatted the drive from scratch, and installed XP Pro. There were no errors during the install, although I was somewhat perplexed, because the site I was using as a guide (ElderGeek) said there would be screens where I was asked about network settings, and I never was.

Anyway, the install went smoothly. When I booted into XP Pro for the first time, of course, a number of devices showed up in Device Manager as yellow question marks. I used the Dell Resource CD that came with the computer to reinstall the drivers. This worked, except for one, the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.

No matter how I try, and despite 2 hours on the phone with a very nice gentleman from Dell, the machine won't recognize the USB driver. Curiously, my USB-based wireless mouse and keyboard work fine. But, the USB ports on the front of the machine don't work.

Also, every time I reboot, it keeps telling me it's found new hardware, and do I want to install it? No matter what I try, it can't find the correct drivers.

I'm at my wit's end. Dell is suggesting reinstalling the OS from scratch again.

Before I tackle that, any suggestions? Remember, the Intel chipset drivers that came with the machine worked fine before I reinstalled.

Thanks very much!

Steve

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home tonight!

I've run the Belarc advisor (neat!). I'm not quite sure what to make of the results. Belarc lists these Controllers:

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

These devices also show up under "other devices":

USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Unfortunately, all seven of these these also show up as working in my device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Win XP still keeps finding the USB Universal SERIAL Controller, and I'm not sure what to do. The one thing that looks promising:

Belarc lists (under Other Devices):

USB Human Interface Device
USB Human Interface Device

These could well be the 2 USB jacks on the front of the machine, and these are what does not currently work. These do NOT show up in device manager, as far as I can tell. I'm assuming that's the missing link. But what I don't know is, where do I go from here??

Thanks,

Steve

USB HID devices are input devices, such as mice, keyboards, drawing tablets, etc.

I've run the Belarc advisor (neat!). I'm not quite sure what to make of the results. Belarc lists these Controllers:

"

This says you have six USB ports. Does that match what is on your machine?

I think it should read:

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7

You are missing a host controller as marked in bold above.

Do you have a PS2 mouse and Keyboard that you could use temporarly?

If so, in the Device manager, remove all the "yellow question marked USB" items - remove both items if there duplicated and one is yellow and one is black. It wouldn't actually hurt to remove them ALL. They all should re-load on restart.

Shutdown

unplug the USB Mouse and Keyboard and connect up the PS2 hardware.

Re-start

It should find the devices ok now and install them. You should now try and unplug your PS2 hardware and plug in your USB Mouse and Keyboard

You may have to re-install the drivers for the keyboard and mouse prior to pluging in the USB mouse and Keyboard, but it may pick up the drivers ok.

Give it a try. It's what I would try before repairing the OS.

If you don't have a PS2 keyboard and mouse, then try going into "safemode" and removing ALL the USB devices from the Device Manager and restart into normal mode.

Last option would be to do a OS Repair, or re-install.

Hope this helps

:<}

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

Come to think of it, you are also missing USB 2.0 support. There should be two entries:

Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Universal Host Controller - 24DD

and,

USB 2.0 Root Hub

You might download from Intel a new chipset level driverset and install that. Then remove all existing USB Root Hub entries, reboot, and let XP discover the new drivers.

OK, thanks to everyone. Well, the root of the problem was what Dakota81 intimated. I had thought I had gone through the whole SP2 install, but apparently I had just downloaded it. Of course, XP Pro without a service pack doesn't support USB 2.0. Once I installed SP2, all of the USB pieces were recognized perfectly.

I followed mtbiker's suggestion and used a serial mouse and keyboard until I got everything working. bcastner was right (as usual), I was missing the line:

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7

Anyway, bottom line, problem has been solved.

As long as I'm here, where do you folks go for suggestions on tweaks to Win XP? I've used the blackviper site a lot in the past, but didn't know if you had any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back