Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Card issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvbruwae

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
EU
Hi

I just added an OPTI 82C861 PCI to USB card to my computer (AMD K6/200 running Windows 2000 Pro) to be able to connect a digital camera. At first the device didn't find enough resources, but then I enabled the "Reserve IRQ for USB" option in the system BIOS which fixed the problem.

However, although no cable/device is connected to the USB ports W2K detects a "USB Device" for which it cannot install a driver (exclamation mark next to it in device manager). When connecting the cable and camera, nothing happens (camera not detected). I correctly installed the TWAIN drivers for the camera but apparently something is wrong with the PCI USB controller... On another PC with Windows 98, all camera software and drivers were working fine from the start.

Does anyone have had a similar problem with a USB card or device or know how to get around this?

Thanks.

The USB card install needs 3 devices in the Registry to work correctly - the USB card hardware itself, the USB Root Hub and the USB Unknown Device which actually starts the Detect Hardware Wizard. Windows probably has not installed the Root Hub (or, less likely, the Unknown Device) and that is what it is trying to detect and install.

Remove the USB Device and try again. If it doesn't detect it you may have to delete all USB hardware from the Device Manager, shut down, yank the USB card, reboot, shut down, reinstall card, reinstall drivers.

If that doesn't work you may have to go into the Registry Editor and surf to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\USB

and delete all subkeys under the main 'USB' key on the left. Reboot to force Windows to redetect all USB hardware. When asked force Windows to reinstall the drivers from the disk and not to use the drivers already on the HD. Your mileage may vary...

One thing I've noticed is that with an add-in PCI USB card, if there's no on-board USB ports or the optional port adapters are not there, the BIOS setting for USB has to be disabled so Windows will access the card instead of trying for the on-board ports.

I tried all solutions mentioned, but none seems to work. The USB card and the USB root hub are detected and installed correctly, but the "Unknown device" is detected twice and no drivers can be installed. When installing "usb.inf" (default Windows usb driver) the installation wizard finishes with a failure. No additional drivers were supplied with the controller.

Are there any known issues with this default Windows usb driver?

Thanks for posting!

Hmmm...

If it is a two port USB card the second device may just be the second USB controller or Root Hub - try going into Update Drivers for the Unknown Device and select the same drivers again.

The .INF you have may be incorrect for 2000 Pro. Delete it from

\Windows\INF and/or \Windows\INF\other,

delete all USB hardware from the Device Manager, go into Regedit and remove the entries below USB in

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\USB

and then reboot to force a full reinstall of the hardware. Check to make sure you are using the .INF for Windows 2000 Pro only- no other .INF will work.

Your mileage may vary...

Performing the steps you described did not work either. As a test I even took an .INF file from another language (W2K Dutch version) to make sure that the new driver was taken, but with the same result (only now I get Dutch error messages).

I should mention though that the registry key you describe does not exist. Instead I have to go to ...\ControlSet001\Services... to find the keys added by the USB card. Is this normal?

Yeah, that's normal.

That Unknown device - are both entries under USB or are they in different places?

The Reserve IRQ for USB setting in the BIOS should be turning on the motherboard's USB chipset - so the second Unknown Device is probably that. Turn it off in the BIOS.

If Windows still reports a resource problem with the BIOS setting off we have to free up resources, not turn the motherboard's USB support on. Now, which PCI slot do you have the USB card in? And, before you turned the BIOS IRQ off, what IRQ's did Windows report the USB controller(s) as using? Your mileage may vary...

Sorry I haven't been around much - I broke my wrist a few weeks ago but still have been trying to keep my end up on these forums. However as of late my wrist is becoming quite uncomfortable so I have reduced my online time.

I was just rebuilding my own network stack when I noticed something - the USB Unknown Device has to be Disabled but not Deleted in order to operate properly. Are your USB Unknown Devices disabled? If not try it and get back to me.

Thanks Your mileage may vary...

I've got exactly the same problem with a Compaq DeskPro 4000
I've tried everything describe here, but nothing work.
I've tried under Win2000 Pro and Win 98 SE and it is the same problem !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back