Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB barcode scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfna

MIS
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hey,

I am supposed to be helping a friend of mine with some application development. Their company needs a barcode scanner (1-d would be sufficient) that operates from a USB port to scan inventory. they also need a database on the back end for checking in/out stuff. The database isn't a problem, I can handle that, and I can develop the VB6 interface to handle the connections and all of the work. My issue is that I've never used a barcode scanner or printer....pretty much anything barcode oriented. Does anyone have any sample code that could help me load the scanned barcode number into a text box? Also, what would be the best type of scanner and printer to consider? I can handle the rest after that. If its easier, I could probably convince them to use a serial input, but I think the preference is definitely USB.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

I went though this bar code learning process a year ago. I settled for a simple keyboard setup using a "wedge" connector. You can use the keyboard to enter data or just scan the bar code and it enters that data.

Bill

I'm not sure, but will the barcode scanner, even an USB-connected one, not just fill the keyboard buffer?
In other words: you can handle it as keyboard input?

Diederik

emcoman,

Yeah, this learning experience is something serious! I would just like to know, did you keep a keyboard connected also?? I'll need to, I'm just not sure how to handle it...any ideas??

Thanks for the help,
Kevin

Hi.

OK. It goes like this...

The scanner hooks up to your normal keyboard port (prob ps/2). The scanner has got it's own harware and software running inside of it, that converts whatever barcode it reads into keyboard signals. I.E. If you scan a code that reads 12AB, it will merely "press" those keys, just as you would on a keyboard. Now if you want to use your keyboard as well, you need to get a splitter, so that you can hook up your keyboard and the scanner to the same port. Focus your mouse cursor in a textbox, and scan the barcode, it will insert the code into the textbox just as you manually typing it in. Now if it's a usb scanner, I suppose the PC will pick it up as a keyboard or some similar input device, and you won't need the splitter...except if you allready have a USB keyboard.

May the Code Be With You...
----------
x50-8 (X Fifty Eigt)

Cool!!

Thanks X! You're a good person and I owe ya one. :)

Kevin

No prob....my wounds are still not propporly healed from learning those things myself...lol

May the Code Be With You...
----------
x50-8 (X Fifty Eigt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back