Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB 60Meg drive to run apps..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundhog1

Technical User
Feb 16, 2004
US
My notebook died and now I have a new one. I took the old HDD from the broken notebook and am using it with the new computer.

I would like to use all of the old applications from my old HDD (now external USB) with my new notebook. What is the best way to do this?

THanks,
groundhog

PS... Both NTFS. Running XP pro.
groundhog

I dont really understand the question. As per your wording, there could be a couple different ways to interpret your needs.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Well, I have a computer with an external USB HDD. This external HDD has lots of programs and applications on it. I want to run these applications.

In the old days, you would just go in the directory and run the big .exe file and the application would come up. I am under the impression that you can not do that now. Maybe I am wrong.

Help...

groundhog

SO now the USB drive is listed as drive F:. The apps that were initially loaded on the drive thought they were on drive C:

I have one program that requires a USB hardware key. I tried to run it and it can't find the key.

That's right, you can't just run them. They will have to be reinstalled in Windows, since entries are written to the system's registry, and system files are sometimes placed under C:\Windows\System or System32.

Each program must be registered within windows, unless it is a 16-bit app (back in the days of Windows 3.11 or before).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks for the info.

At least now I can quit messing around with this issue and just load all my stuff onto my new computer. (takes a while..)

groundhog

Yeah, it can be a pain. Starting from scratch, however, is a good thing...

You might want to use a good percentage of your drive for System Restore at first during the installations. Most of the installs will create Restore Points automatically. I would hang onto them for several weeks at least until you're confident there aren't any problems.

Good luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Good idea, cdogg, on the system restore thing.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back