Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB 2.0 Problems - XP Home SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHardy

Programmer
May 9, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am having problems with a USB 2.0 Card installed in XP machine. Technical details as follows:

O/S: XP Home SP1 (build 2600)
Motherboard: MSI MS-6558 1.0 (SiS Chipset)
Onboard USB 1.1 Controller: SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
PCI USB 2.0 Card/Controller: ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller & Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Please let me know if any further info is required.

Basically, when I first installed the card I didn't have SP1 installed and I didn't know I needed it. The card worked fine... as 1.1! All devices attached worked... printer, mobile device dock, etc. However, when I attached a USB 2.0 card reader I get the following message:

"HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB hub"

But it still worked at 1.1 speed.

When I actually bothered to read the document that came on the drivers disk I found out that I need SP1 for the EHCI driver.

So, I downloaded & installed SP1. Now I can see the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" in the device manager. "Yay!" I thought.

No....

Non hi-speed devices still work when attached (such as printers, etc), but now when I attach the USB 2.0 card reader I get the following message:

"USB Device Not Recognised"

I have even tried a clean install of XP & SP1 then trying it, but no luck.

Had a quick look at previous posts and installed the following update:

Still no joy.

BTW, I have tried the card reader (just in case) on my PC at work, and works fine.

So I am now down on my knees begging for help. I'm a developer not a teccy, and do not know what to do. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon

SHardy,
Try re-installing the software that came with the USB 2.0 controller card.

Have tried that. Infact there's two different setups for host controller and I have tried each. There's also an enhanced controller setup, and I have tried using that. Nothing.

Also, reading the guide that came with it, it actually just says to install SP1 and use the MS EHCI drivers.

I'm stumped!

You may have to totally clean out the old drivers and then reinstall the new ones...

I could also suggest that you may need to update the Chipset drivers that cover your mobo...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I have tried that. Although I did not do it in safe mode. Would this be necessary?

Where could I find updated drivers for the motherboard?

Use something like Everest Home to pull your specs. See if it shows that you have USB 2.0 and what the make/model of your motherboard is. Once you have that, you can visit the motherboard manufacturer's website for chipset driver updates (if there are any).

In my experience with USB 2.0 add-in cards, they are a hit & miss especially on older motherboards. Sometimes moving the card to another PCI slot helps. Other times, it's just a poorly designed generic card that only ends up working with some motherboards. Usually, it's not a problem in the OS.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Okay...

I removed the PCI USB 2.0 card.
Restarted PC & un-installed the related USB drivers (both 1.1 & 2.0).
Shut down & re-installed PCI card into a different slot.
Re-started PC.

XP then auto detected & installed card, USB1.1 controllers & Standard EHCI controller.
Still when I plug in card reader I get "USB Device Not Recognised".

Go into device manager and disable EHCI, then plug in card reader and I get "HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB hub".

Sooooo...

Windows is recognising that the card is a USB 2.0 card. When I plug in the device it is recognising that it is a USB 2.0 device. However, it just doesn't like it. However, it works absolutely fine via USB 1.1.

While I had the case open I took the following details from the PCI USB 2.0 card: Safecom ALi M5273.

Also, both CPU-Z & Belarc Advisor report the BIOS as being:

American Megatrends Inc version 07.00T 10/12/01

However, when starting up the PC it shows as:

AMIBIOS v1.6 A6547SMS 04/09/02

I don't know if this will help shed any more light?

Oh, also is there a difference between a BIOS update and updated chipset drivers?

I visited the M/B manufacturers webset and all I could find was new BIOS. Which incidentally was an Award BIOS rather than AMIBIOS!?!

Not sure if I'm keen on flashing the BIOS. Although if it was almost certain to fix the problem. I would email MSI to find out, but I couldn't find an email address for them.

What was the motherboard make/model?

Also, it's quite possible that the card you have is just not going to work on your system. "Safecom" isn't ringing any bells as far as brand. It's probably generic.

I recommend that if you still have problems, you replace the card. It's just not worth your time when a decent replacement costs $20 - $25. Go to and order another one. I like D-Link, Belkin, Vantec, and IOGEAR. You can read buyer reviews at newegg.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Motherboard: MSI MS-6558 1.0 (SiS Chipset)

The answer has always been 42

I think I am going to give up on this as a bad card.

It would appear that they made this card with two different chipsets - VIA & ALi. From what I have found it sounds like all the VIA ones worked fine with no problems. However, it also sounds like all the ALi cards have had the same probblem as described above.

Thank you all for your help. However, it looks like it's time to go shopping again.

Just some info:

It seems that you may have an OEM version mobo, meaning MSI produced the mobo for a manufacturer like Siemens or Medion...

they then installed their own type of BIOS (AMI) where as MSI regular produced mobo's sold with the AWARD BIOS...

I had this same (although reversed) setup a few years ago, with a MSI 6309, which came with an AMI BIOS and I have flashed it with the AWARD BIOS offered at the Siemens site, so that I could install a OEM version of W2k as it was the only original CD I had at the time... Sold the setup there after...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You might need a newer driver.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back