Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB 2.0 Card and Dell Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

site4sure

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
Hi,

I posted a similar post a long time ago, and it has got lost in the shuffle and I need to get this problem solved.

I installed a new USB 2.0 card in a friends computer. It installed fine and shows fine in the hardware list. Its a Dell Comp with Win2k, 256Mb Memory and a 800MHz Intel proc. When you plugg something in the new USB card it works fine UNTIL...... you  reboot. While booting it bluescreens. If you unplug the device and reboot agian, it works fine. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong.

I got the error message on the blue screen. It is below:
STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x8041FCF8, 0x00000000, 0x0000001D)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDELED
ADDRESS 8041FCF* base@ 80400000 DATE STAMP 3d366686- ntoskrnl.exe

Also, we went and bought a different brand of a USB 2.0 card at Walmart and put it in there, loaded the drivers etc. Installed the printer, and did a test page, it worked, then rebooted and it blue screen with the message above. It does it with either card. Any ideas?

Did you check to see if the motherboard is USB 2.0 capable?
or:
Couldn't hurt to try a different slot.

Mom

Hi,

I did not check to see if the MB could support it. But shouldnt it? It just another card. The USB card should handle all the USB stuff and then just send the data to the MB. Also, I did try other slots and it still BS.

I could be mistaken but I thought I had read that the motherboard had to support USB 2.0 in order for the card to work.

Can someone else here verify this?

I don't know if anyone has had similar problems since the last entry in this thread, but I'm gettig the EXACT same error message and same behavior on my IBM PC Server 330 that has an add-on PCI USB 2.0 5-port card. It re-boots OK with my CD burner plugged in but gets the error if I try to re-boot with my Epson C-80 printer plugged in.

The add-in PCI USB 2.0 cards only need support from the BIOS for the IRQ it uses, has its own chipset for the USB 2.0 part.

Win98 will sometimes exhibit the same thing during bootup with some devices, unplug the device first and then it boots fine, even with the onboard USB ports.

You might check to see if the card requires a 2.1 PCI slot, and all your system has is 1.1

site4sure quote.
"Also, we went and bought a different brand of a USB 2.0 card at Walmart and put it in there, loaded the drivers etc. Installed the printer, and did a test page, it worked, then rebooted and it blue screen with the message above"
But did both the cards have the same make USB controller chip?
I know there have been conflicts with certain older motherboards and particular makes of controller chip.
See if you can get a card with a differant make of controller chip (I know Via is popular but whatever chipset you have get a differant make) and not just a differant brand of card.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

YOUR ANSWER: (MOST OF YOU)
is for you to disable USB boot, and sometimes legacy support, as a final troubleshooting step.
Ive had pc's try to boot to a HP printer until I disabled usb boot.

I did have a problem with a motherboard with the ALi chipset and a PCI USB 2.0 card with its ALi chipset. Changed the USB card to an NEC chipset [Belkin F5U220 from WalMart] and all was well. Computer must have gotten confused between the 2 ALi chipsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back