Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Usage of the word epicenter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I am fighting a losing battle over the use of this word. I know, I know.

Epicenter
[ul]
[li]The point on the earth’s surface vertically above the focus of an earthquake.[/li]
[/ul]

The issues with this related usage have been that it is understood by the layman to mean where the earthquake was focused. Where the Earthquake is focused is called the hypocenter. I can easily forgive this usage as it is an easy misunderstanding and no meaning is lost. I'm not quite that pedantic​

Epicenter
[ul]
[li]The central point of something, typically a difficult or unpleasant situation:[/li]
Examples:
[ol 1]
[li]By the late 1980s and 1990s, however, there had been a shift in the epicenter of concern about ecology.[/li]
[li]And at the epicentre of the military build-up is it's air base.[/li]
[li]The epicentre of military action, and therefore, of military losses, in the European war was the German - Soviet war.[/li]
[/ol]
[/ul]

This definition is causing me issues. People are saying the epicenter of the explosion or the epicenter of the violence or the epicenter of such and such event. That is not the meaning of the words "central point" in this usage. Politics can have a point / epicenter. An exercise can have a point / epicenter. An explosion can have a central point but that central point is NOT an epicenter unless you are referring to the central point as a means to maim or kill. In other words, central point is NOT the point in the center like of a target but instead it is the PURPOSE such as archery sport.​

I know I am probably being too pedantic here but I strongly feel I know what I am talking about but it's like trying to convert a vegan to eat meat. It always ends in "I interpret it differently" or "I guess we must agree to disagree" . No I do not agree, your usage is wrong and it should changed! subtitled "I must resist the urge to kill, killing is bad"

Comments are more than welcome, I have not yet developed an ability to strangle at a distance.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

When our company first started using smart phones for email..... I asked if they came in an adult size...[smile]

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Think about the situation "autocorrect" put this poor guy in ..........

Andy is watching TV & his phone notifies him of an incoming text. It says "Hi Charlie,
wanted to let you know I just got caught hopping on your wife, sorry".

Andy puts down the phone, picks up his pistol and shoots his wife.

He hears another notification of an incoming text, it says "Damn autocorrect, I meant to say
hopping on your wifi".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back