Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Usability Issues in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda354

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
I'm setting up a form. It will be quite long and use a number of subforms. Is it customary in Access to let a long form just scroll on and on, or should/can it be set up in short discrete pages that the user advances to by clicking a button, (as most websites are set up)?

I would probably use multiple forms closing each form and saving the data through code, as one form closes another opens writing to the recordset through dao. If you use workspace transactions (BeginTrans and CommitTrans), if the user does something which would mean all data should be removed then you can rollback all written data.

Have a search for BeginTrans in Access help.

Adam.

Dear Linda:

I have had good luck with the "tab control". You can put several/many pages on the control, and each page can contain controls of the main form, and/or you can insert sub forms on different pages. I have some pages with more than one sub form. There seems to be an absolute limit of 754 controls on the form, and there's sort of a trick getting that many on, but I haven't reached that point yet.

I think you would profit by reading "Help" or some reference on the use of the tab control. Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000
padregus@attbi.com

Well, I feel like I'm asking a dumb question, but what does DAO stand for? I just searched on it in Access Help and it's not defined. I've been getting frustrated with that type of thing in general with Access help -- endless loops of undefined terms.

The workspace transcation technique might be safer. I'm worried if I put up tabs, not all the forms will get filled out. It needs to work like flipping a sheet of paper when you reach the bottom and filling out the next page. This will just be used on individual PC's, though, not online. After wading through the Help article on BeginTrans I'm getting the feeling DAO is something you use for online databases.

Dear Linda:

2 books:

1) Access 2000 Bible ,ISBN 0-7645-3286-3

and/or

2) Running MS Access 2000 ,ISBN 1-57231-934-8

Each comes with extensive sample databases on cd's. Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000
padregus@attbi.com

Sorry, forgot...

DAO = "Data Access Objects"

Any help? Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000
padregus@attbi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back