Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

US Robotics WinModem Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchshin

MIS
Dec 6, 2000
US
I am having problems installing a US Robotics 56K modem on my computer which runs win 98. I go through the process of putting the modem in & everytime it gets ready to load the drivers it says "winmodem installer" disk required. After hitting ok it goes through a list of files that can't be found. Heres the wierd part, after looking through the modem cd in explorer it has the files needed but they're different. All of the .dll & .vxd files are .dl_ &.vx_. Also it says it cant find say "265699A3ccntry.dll" while the file on the cd is listed as simply "3ccntry.dl_". I have downloaded the needed drivers from the 3com site at work and theyre fine until I install them at home then it goes right back to .dl_ When I finally got them to stay as .dll it still cant find them. I assume this is because of the 265699A so I rename them to no avail. I have run out of things to try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Having the same problem, haven't figured it out yet.
Any help would be appreciated.

you may need to install the software before puting the card in the machine,winmodems are funny that way,good luck

I had the same problem with my desktop and finally just figured it out. Windows 98 was finding old 3Com inf files on the hard drive and then wanted the mysterious Winmodem Installer disk. Because it found these files first, it refused to look at the files on the modem's installation CD. My inf files were under windows\inf\other\3comco~.inf. I had two I renamed by removing the "f" in inf. I then made sure the moden was uninstalled in the hardware manager and rebooted Windows. It found the modem and then wanted the 1807Wm9x.cat file that is in the root directory of my installation CD, and the drivers finally installed OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back