Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

US Robotics Sportster 56K X2 faxmodem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANFPS26

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
I have an external US Robotics Sportster 56K X2 faxmodem. Can anybody tell me if there is a way to flash it to V.90 and where do I get the flash? USR doesn't support it anymore. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

If it's an external modem, you could send it to Pipex and they'll exchange it for a Fujitsu ADSL modem. You'd need to subscribe to an ADSL service, of course... CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

This is on an old AMD 5x86 100MHz used mainly for email. I don't need DSL. Most of these USR modems had a flash upgrade to V.90. I just haven't found one for this one yet.It connects at 33600 and 32100 most of the time because it is X2 and the ISP is V.90. That's fast enough for email. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Have you downloaded the "USR Control Center"?

It logs into their FTP and then finds if any updates are available. Make sure you read the "readme.txt" first or you won't be able to connect to their server.

I installed the "Control Center" but it doesn't detect my modem. It says that no 3com devices are installed. Evidently it doesn't work for old dial-ups. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back