Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

US Robotics 56k Message modem settings, in France?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdcallpilot

Technical User
Sep 27, 2005
GB
I've had a good search round but can't see anything about this so.......
We've got a US Robotics 56K Message modem on an Opt 11c out in France for remote dial in. When dialing in via DDI (DID) we get a screach and the modem hangs up. It seems OK if dialed internally but not external. We don't have a direct exchange line (COT) to test against. The setting we are using on the modem are the same as we would use for a 56K fax modem. Should they be different? We've tried diferent cables/modems/TTY's etc but generally the same responce except once when we actaully got a conection and once were we established connection to the modem then plugged the TTY in, though we managed this twice before the modem then woudln't answer at all without a TTY connection. Confused? We are. If anyone can shed any light I'd much appreciate.

you can force a modem to answer without a tty connection. imo if it works internal, it's not the modem

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

This is the setup for the US Robotics External Sportster 33.6 Fax Modem:<BR>
<BR>
1. Power down the Modem<BR>
2. Set Dip Switch 1,3,5,8 Down; Set Dip Switch 2,4,6,7 Up<BR>
3. Power up the Modem and program it as follows (set your terminal for 9600,N,8,1):<BR>
AT&F<BR>
AT&B1&W&W1<BR>
4. Power down the Modem and set Dip Switches 1,4 Down; 2,3,5,6,7,8 Up<BR>
5. Power Up and Voila.<BR>

This pretty much works anywhere with sportster modems, unless there is a lot of echo on the lines.

I always use dip switches 1,4,and 7 down, the rest up and power off and on. No programming. This sets it to auto answer, and auto baud. Works every time for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back