Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URL will not redirect despite... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwidner

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Not sure where to start. We run a local simpledns site, with forwarding to OpenDNS Enterprise.

We have a local address which has a redirect to a vendor's site embedded in IIS 6.0 (Win2003 server).

Even though I can do an nslookup to the URL which resolves to our local IP address, even though I can ping the oursite.com host name, the browser will NOT connect to it. It just times out. This happens OUTSIDE our own network.

Yet... some of our folks are able to connect. I tried clearing cache, cookies and temp files to no avail. I tried ip address and it does not work.

It sounds like a DNS problem, but then it doesn't.

I am confused... Thanks for any and all help.

Solved...

Turns out to have been a firewall problem... ASA was not allowing port 80 traffic. Duh!

Thanks to anyone who considered this query!

Hi. I'm glad you found the problem.

I was going to suggest looking to see which users on which segments can connect and which ones can. If non can connect, then I would have suggested something is blocking the connection to the webserver at a router via an access list or a firewall like a Sonicwall, or Cisco ASA or Pix.

Glad you found the problem. Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back