Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URL Reporting in Enterprise 9 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrocker

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding URL reporting in Enterprise 9. I am currently evaluating the latest build I received from their Sales person and am having some trouble passing the database username and password to a report using an ODBC connection.

I've set up a fresh box with the software and ensured the System ODBC source was configured properly with the same name as it is on my developement machine. When trying to pass the parameters either through the url (i.e foo.rpt?user0=username&password0=password) or a hidden input tag(i.e <input type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;user0&quot; value=&quot;username&quot;) the report is not accepting the logon information and reprompting for the username and password which is then accepted and the report is run properly.

Have they changed the way database login credentials are handled in version 9 over 8 and 8.5? I've checked the documentation and it appears URL reporting has been skipped as far as documentation is concerned. By the way, I've tested this with reports created in a version 8, 8.5 and 9 Report Designer.

thanks for the help in advance.

I am having the same problem. We have CE support where I work and I am thinking about giving them a call if this takes too long. I will post back if I find anything out. Let me know if you find anything.

>trouble passing the database username and password to a report using an ODBC connection.

Here's how I'm doing it for an OLEDB (ADO) connection, I think it's similar for ODBC.
Code:
   For Each Table In Session(&quot;oRpt&quot;).Database.Tables
      Table.SetLogonInfo CStr(s_Server), CStr(s_Database), CStr(Session(&quot;request_form_login&quot;)), CStr(Session(&quot;request_form_password&quot;))
   Next
s_Server and s_Database are constants defined elsewhere; the others are Session variables.

Good Luck! [thumbsup2]
WindUp

Thats is good, but we are looking for the changes/differences ??? in the URLs from 8.5 to 9.

Here is the problem. This is not documented, because they are trying to do away with URL reporting. First of all, you cannot specify the viewer. It defaults to the DHTML viewer. So remove this parameter &quot;init=actx:connect&quot;
The values must be in quotes. example: user0=&quot;username&quot;

Here is an example URL:

I am not moving to 9 now that I am forced to use the DHTML viewer. It is junk. So everything I just explained is strait from the horses mouth. I am going to play around with getting the active x viewer working with 9 and if I succeed I will post again.

-radandy

Thanks RadAndy.
I contacted their technical support as well and found out they deprecated URL reporting in an attempt to push people into Crystal Enterprise Professional as Standard the standard edition is pretty much junk without URL reporting. Regarding the Active X viewer, I had no problem loading the active X viewer using the &quot;?init=actx&quot; command. Kind of odd.

Hi guys,

Here's some information I posted on another thread regarding the new viewers in CE9.

In CE9 there are now 2 classes of viewers.
1 class uses the old architecture which is identified by the fact that it has a URL/query string interface (viewrpt.crw call). The ActiveX and Java viewers still fall in this category.

The 2nd class of viewers are script based server side viewers. These are controlled through asp/csp/jsp code and include 3 members: The Report Part viewer, the Report Page Viewer and the Interactive viewer. They are all zero client DHTML viewers. They secure parameters through a session variable (viewreport.csp)

The new Interactive DHTML viewer actually uses the Report Application Server - so any load will be placed here.

The other 2 DHTML viewers will use the Page/Cache servers.

You should still be able to use any type of viewers - u just need to work differently with them. Though, the older based viewers will be deprecated eventually.

You should also still be able to pass the init command in the URL.

cheers....J

We have been using URL reporting as our way to view reports on the web.

If Crystal is trying to get rid of URL reporting, what do they recommend that we do to replace it?

Our company needs to support the old Enterprise releases as well, CE 8.0, 8.5, as well as 9.0.

Do I need to use CSP? We can't use ASP because we support iPlanet as well. Java is not supported in CE 8.0, right?

What solution works on all the CE versions?

Thanks,
Donna

dslowe (Programmer)

Have you found a way around URL reporting as I am having the same problem we have some reports which are built within a VB application. The VB application has buttons which once clicked on call the URL which in turn calls the Crystal Report.

??

Nipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back