Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

url changing script

Status
Not open for further replies.

apexinternet

Programmer
May 28, 2001
US
Greetings!

How would you write a script that would change open up a popup window, placing the popup window behind the current window and display a different url each time the page was opened from a list.

ex:

I open once it shows
someone else opens it it shows
a third person opens it it shows
fifth, tek-tips.com

and 6th would show again

and continue to rotate like that?

Currently I have it written in asp and javascript. The javascript for the popup window, and asp for the database or urls and such. However, I need this page to completely be an html document, hence the need to code this in javascript. In help would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher Norris
Director, IS/IT Development/Application Engineering
Evision Marketing Group L.L.C.

Oh okay I see. Well, just use the PERL script I posted.
bluebrain.gif
blueuniment.gif

Uhh... I think either you have a misunderstanding, or you have written your own script? You could use a server-side JavaScript (if your server actually supports such a thing).

The code I posted was PERL. That means, the code I posted is another language. As in, not JavaScript. Okay, we have an understanding.
bluebrain.gif
blueuniment.gif

this page..has more than just the rotating script...also will search engines read perl? is it precompiled? I would just add the rest of the page to the bottom somehow?

PERL is not precompiled. And as for the rest of your questions, I don't know what exactly it is that you are asking.
bluebrain.gif
blueuniment.gif

check out and you will see what I am talking about the index page has a banner that comes up with another clients website in it...this needs to rotate to a different company from a list every time you open the page.

Chris

GOD IS UNFAILING!

I believe search engines probably read HTTP header redirects correctly.

As for adding &quot;the rest of the page to the bottom somehow&quot;, I don't quite understand what you mean. If you're asking whether you can have the script add HTML to the end of the content page, I believe so (using the SSI directive #EXEC). However, I would instead suggest using an <iframe> with the src attribute pointing to the script's location.
bluebrain.gif
blueuniment.gif

Thanks, Uniment..we have tested the script and plan on implementing it in the near future. I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Christopher Norris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back