Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT--Yahoo! Online Protection Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgharris

Technical User
Jan 25, 2000
US
My best friend has a Windows ME box on AT&T/Yahoo! DSL with Yahoo! Online Protection. The last couple times I was over there I made sure her AV and Anti-Spy were up to date. I got a warning message that seemed to say YOP would not longer be available for ME systems after July.

I noticed no updates were available for her system a couple days ago. Is it true? Has Yahoo! abandoned Win Me users? I did configure them for automaic updates. How could I find the date they were last updated?

I don't want to suggest anything drastic, not if it is not necessary. Especially as she seems to be on the verge of being frightened off compters altogether. Please help.

Tony Harris

It wouldn't surprise me since not even Microsoft supports ME anymore.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I could understand not providing updates to the scanning engine, but what does the nature of the OS have to do with definitions?

That's what I want to know: yes or no: Are there no more DEFINITIONS to be had. If not, her safest course is to disable the Yahoo! protection and install AVG. But I hate to do that unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Tony H.

Tony Harris

The viruses may attack some OSs and not others.

Cheers,
Dian

What antivirus came with yahoo online protection? If its norton or mcafee I highly reccomend uninstalling them and installing avg. Also another suggestion , if you ever get a chance, upgrade or get another machine with xp on it.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Hi Tony,
electronicsfreak is right AVG or even Avast is better than the yahoo protection. And MEis getting beyond it's life cycle. It never worked well for most people I know If you want her to still be able to use the yahoo protection the only real choice is to upgrade the OS. I know this doesn't sound fair. But with MS not offering any support for ME it makes sense that third party software isn't giving support any more.
Hey EF star

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

lol Thanks again Wayne. Appreciate it.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Thank you both. I found her antivirus (comes from Computer Associates) is still updating. It updated just that week. But her antispyware is not. I tried to download and install Ad-Aware but they had just gone to their 2007 version and have dropped the old SE version that worked on Windows ME.

I refuse to abandon my friend to this conspiracy by Microsoft, aided and abetted by the major software companies, to bankrupt her in a never-ending "treadmill of upgrades."

Her system is operaing nominally, at present. Since she uses older hardware XP may not even be an option. I cannot understand why the older anti-malware versions cannot be provided with updated signatures to scan for.

Could either of you recommend a anti-spyware you would trust that still works (or an older version is still available) for Windows Me?

Thanks,

Tony Harris

ad-aware se still works or was just the other day when I used it. Also spybot search and destroy. Another thing you can do that I do, is run another computer on a network with it that has like say 2000 or xp on it and scan their computer from mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back