Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A/V protection suggestions, need central control / distribution 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

We need to replace our current A/V provider as it simply no longer works, nor is there any acceptable support.

The dilema however, is who to use instead.

I've been considering ESET/NOD32, but am open to recommendations.

We need to have central control where we can monitor and distibute the AV across the network and we will NOT consider the following providers.

Sophos
Norton
AVG

So it doesn't really leave a lot left I know, hence looking for some guideance.

Regards,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

LOL!
Nothing's better than a good rant at due time! [tongue]

Concerning PANDA and its ranking:
It is usually ranking in the McAfee realm.
Although it is supposed to be rather good, that CLOUD solution is said to be slightly on the slow side for scanning systems.

On the other hand: when it comes to Network security, it cannot possible be as slow as Symantec (God forbid).

I think you'll be quite happy with Panda. When I set up our environment three years ago, I only preferred McAfee because I knew it and trusted it and I didn't want to even spend slightly more on a product I didn't know.

That said, sometimes side effects caused by McAfee, especially that last faulty update of theirs made me doubt whether my choice was the wisest!
(see thread760-1600840)

Anyway, remember: there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and there ain't know such thing as a flawless software...
[tongue]

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

[Lol], yup, been a very stressful day!

Attached is a data sheet they sent me , though how 'massaged' the figures are is anyones guess, well you tell me!

on a side note, as Sophos are refusing to refund, we are stuck with them for the rest of our current licence.

Prior to all this , our resller contacted us offering to perform the upgrade for £150.00 , something they are offering all their clients, as they are fully aware of the issues surrounding the latest Sophos upgrade versions.

Since the fiasco with Sophos support and customer service , they have waived the £150.00 fee and will be finishing the upgrade for nothing instead of Sophos, now that is what I call customer service.

I have had many account managers with many resellers, and i can say hand on heart, my current reseller is second to none, Sophos and many other IT companies could learn alot from them.

So if you are in the UK and you want to be put in touch with an IT company that really cares about their customers and offers a service above and beyond anyone else out there, I'm more than happy to put you in touch!

I have never experienced service from a reseller like it where they bend over backwards to help even when it isn't their problem or fault and they aren't earning a penny from it.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

http://www.homeloanpartnership.com/AV-Comparatives.pdf
1DMF said:
...have you been using CA Brightstor Arcserve Backup since 2003 v10 on Small Business Server 2003?
No, I've been using it and CA's anti-virus on Server 2003, Server 2003 R2, and Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2008.

I've been using it without problems for many years and have done several restores. I never use default settings because they're usually not what I want for my environment.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

I think the problem lies with SBS!

It has been a nightmare for many years as it was a new OS and concept (everything on one box), which many software companies just hadn't got to grips with at the time of launch.

Hey it's the same for any new OS, just look at 3.11->95->98->2000->XP->Vista->7.

Nothing rarely went smoothly between each new release!

SBS compatability has certainly got better the last few years and as SBS has become a standard OS especially with the release of 2008, I'm hoping when we migrate, it won't be as painfull as when we first implemented SBS2003!

The only reason we used Arcserve was at the time Veritas (Backup Exec) 10 didn't work, in the end we sent it back and got CA Arcserve instead, ok that had many teething troubles as I mentioned, but back then they had awesome support so working with the to resolve the issues wasn't a problem, now they are in Bangalore, it's made it very difficult to resolve any issues or even get basic assistance with configuration settings.

Hey ho, as Jean-Luc pointed out
... there ain't know such thing as a flawless software...
I know that, there's the stuff I write for a start [lol]

just thought i'd update this thread due to the fiasco that immerged after our reseller got their IT support guys to 'fix' the Sophos problems.

I use the word 'fix' with total sarcasm!

While i was in london at the Insight technology event @ billingsgate, these so called experts who have upgraded Sophos 2-300 times, dialed into our server to upgrade Sophos from ECM 4 with SQL 2005 express -> ECM 4.5 with SQL 2008 express.

Only instead of fixing anything, they trashed our sever, corrupter our SQL 2000 production install and the entire company was taken offline for 4 days, we were not back up and running until the following tuesday!

They totally corrupted Sophos, so it hasn't worked for weekes now and they also trashed our CA Arcserve backup SQL 2008 instance, so i then had to spend two days with CA support to fix the darn backup software.

They then had the gual to try and tell my MD it was me who broke everything, when I wasn't even there as I was in London!

The most unbeleivable, jaw dropping incompetence I have ever experienced.

So don't any one dare tell me there is nothing wrong with Sophos and perhaps it was my lack of skills that was the problem, I never trashed our server upgrading, and I had successfully upgraded from ECM3.1 -> ECM 4.0 which was working fine.

It took a real expert support company with 100's of Sophos upgrade experience to really cock things up.

Sophos sucks and no amount of experience upgrading will change that fact, never again!

Congratulations - any possible incompetence on your side of things (not being sarcastic) has been totally overshadowed by a greater incompetence that raises the bar. Now what you gonna do?

Hope Sophos doesn't read your post and sue you. You should add: "It is my opinion....."

People have been sued for facebook/twitter comments where they slam Product X or Company Y. No kidding.

Or even this:

Yeah, talk about ironic!

Hey, you can only sue for slander or saying something that isn't true.

I have only expressed a real world experience, which can be backed up by evidence, and of course I can only speak for myself, but the facts are the facts.

I wish I hadn't been put in this situation in the first place and could still sing Sophos' praises, which i had always done up until this fiasco.

Unfortunately, this experience and subsequent corruption of our company's system have forced me into the situation of having no choice but to get rid of Sophos.

we cannot afford to be without AV protection and have downed systems like this again.

I'll let you now how I get on with Panda!

So, were the folks who "fixed" the issues working directly for Sophos, or were they some external support agency of sorts? If they weren't directly controlled by Sophos, then I'd suggest you do need to be more careful with slamming the product. Even if they worked for Sophos, the issue is: was it the product, or the individual(s) involved in the specific instance?

That'd be like saying some large bank is absolutely horrible, b/c one moron working there caused you to lose $100k. Of course, that's all made up. I've never seen that money in one place, except for showing how much I owed on my mortgage. [wink]

I had already had a mare with Sophos support , who after a month still hadn't helped us upgrade, this was all before this external company screwed things up even more.

But point taken, I don't want anyone thinking this corruption was done by Sophos, they were a totally separate IT company!

The missus has just managed to upgrade here Sophos across 5 servers and 50+ workstations in two separate co-locations, it was a headache and took a long time.

She helped me with mine, before trying her upgrade, so was fully aware of the pitfalls and problems I had experienced, she confirmed in writing, that i had sucessfully upgraded Sophos to ECM4 with SQL 2005 express, but neither of us could get ECM 4.5 with SQL 2008 express to work.

just as well i had got her to come in and give us a hand, i had a wittness to prove it was this 3rd party It company that screwed things up and not me!

The only difference between her environment and mine is we have SBS & SQL, they don't, so perhaps it's more SBS specific than Sophos per sae.

either way, it's now about to be totally removed and a new era of Panda security will commence.

But there had to be something fundamentally wrong for me and the missus not being able to get it to work, Sophos support after a month not being able to get it to work and then for this external IT company to totally trash Sophos and the server.

I think it's safe to say, a common denominator was found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back