Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent!! Win2k Server Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesagreg

Programmer
Mar 3, 2001
US
Hey Guys,

I have made Windows 2000 Server boot disks for installation on a brand new 40GB hard drive. I booted with the first disk and followed all the steps, letting the installation format the new drive. When prompted to reboot I did so, removing the installation disks from the floppy drive. Upon reboot, I get a disk read error and the new operating system cannot load.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here? I need to get this done today.

Thanks in advance` Gregory A. Lusk, P.E., CCNA

Is this a SCSI drive? With the compaq smart array controllers I have found that I get that error if I do not re-define the array before doing the install. If it is a normal EIDE HD check to make sure there is good contact. Try reformatting and starting again. If this is an older computer the controller may be going bad.

Mike,

Thanks for your response. I just now checked the cable and it the hd may not have been connected to the right connector on the ribbon cable. Also, I just used FDISK to create and activate a primary DOS partition. I am going through the Win2k setup once again and am converting the partition to NTFS. We'll see if it works.

By the way, I found a really neat utility called EZ OS Install that I downloaded for $4.95 at It lets you easily make Windows boot disks (all versions) and has several other utilities that are very useful.

Thanks,
Gregory A. Lusk, P.E., CCNA

For Boot Disks, you can also check out And the Win2k Server is a bootable CD, so if your BIOS supports booting from CDRom, you may want to try that. It is much faster than floppies... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
[alien]

i have aproblem with ISM - I WANT TO REMOVE THE COMPONENT
ANFD THEN ADD THE COMPONENT. I INSERTED MY CD AND HIT "ADD/REMOVE" COMPONENT - then it tells me a program is already running and wait till it finished - then i cannot find the component i want to add? it just sits there?

ANFD THEN ADD THE COMPONENT. I INSERTED MY CD AND HIT "ADD/REMOVE" COMPONENT - then it tells me a program is already running and wait till it finished - then i cannot find the component i want to add? it just sits there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back