Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT Tape I/O Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juggers

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2000
SA
Hi all,

I have an E250 (solaris 2.6) I want to know if the tape driver is damaged (DDS3) or it is something with the files. when i give a tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 data the tar starts to write to tape. but after a minute it gives tar error :I/O error. whatever directory i try it writes for a minute then gives error even with CPIO.... How can i check if the Tape driver is damaged... why it writes for a certain time then faults? ...I changed the tape media.

Thanks alot

time is the father of truth

From the ok> prompt... Do the following:
printenv

Check to see the status of auto-boot? If it is true, enter the following:
setenv auto-boot? false

Then enter:
reset-all

Once you get back to the ok> prompt:
probe-scsi-all (I think that is the command).. If it isn't, enter help diag... That will give you a list of diagnostic commands you can use.

Make sure the tape drive is being detected. If it is, do a reconfiguration boot...

What is the mt command you are using... Should be something like this:

mt -f /dev/rmt/0 stat (will give you the status)
mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind (will rewind the tape)
mt -f /dev/rmt/0 offline (will eject the tape)

Also, you are aware the /dev/rmt/0n means no rewind.

When you are finished, make sure you set auto-boot? back to true.

Thanks bfitmazai for your quick reply.

First i want to ask how to reach the Ok > (long time not used this ) and secondly if i go there, the system will continue running i mean i have users on the syetm. On the other hand when i installed the tape driver i did not check the scsi id on the tape drive, this might be a problem as well?

Thanks in advance

Juggers. No, your users will be disconnected. What do you see in /dev/rmt - the new drive may well be /dev/rmt/1

Otherwise, arrange some downtime and do a reconfiguration boot as per bfitzmal's instructions. Possibly upgrade to a version of Solaris where you can add hardware through devfsadm?

Juggers,
You will have to bring down the Server to reach the ok> prompt. init 0 will get you there. There is a command like prtconf that may get you the same information. Not sure if it is available in Solaris 2.6. Will check when I get to work and post. There are other commands that will build your device tree without doing a reconfiguration boot. Again I will post them unless defranze or someone else can list them... If I remember right the device ID should be set to 4 for tape drives. You may want to check that.

Hi all,
The prtconf runs on 2.6.
copy where the tape is mentioned.
slot2disk (driver not attached)
slot2dev (driver not attached)
pci, instance #0
ebus, instance #0
auxio (driver not attached)
power, instance #0 (driver not attached)
SUNW,pll (driver not attached)
sc (driver not attached)
se, instance #0
se, instance #1
su, instance #0
su, instance #1
ecpp, instance #0 (driver not attached)
eeprom (driver not attached)
flashprom (driver not attached)
SUNW,envctrltwo, instance #0
network, instance #0
scsi, instance #0
disk (driver not attached)
tape (driver not attached)
sd, instance #0
sd, instance #1 (driver not attached)
sd, instance #2 (driver not att
I will shutdown after a couple of hours, I will check the jump[ers on the drive. and then i follow bfitzmai steps.
anything else?

Regards

Juggers,

If you can't turn off your server because of users,
you can use the tapes command to create the device links from the /dev directory to /devices... See man tapes.

Also there is a command called drvconfig in Solaris 2.6.

According to the man pages for tapes, you should run drvconfig before you run the tapes command.

Bfitzmai,

New tape is working fine now. I did a status 5 shutdown.
changed the jumpers as they were in the defective tape drive. Power ups the server, then went to open boot (Stop + a).Reset-all, probe-scsi-all, boot -r .

and the tape was ready.

Thanks for your valuable contribution, and thanks for everyone else's contributions as well.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back