Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

alimalik

Technical User
Aug 15, 2005
QA
one of my hdd failed and i ran "fsck -F UFS -o b=32768 -y /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0" this command to recover it ....
now it has cleaned the hdd partition and i think all of the data is kept in lost+found folder.

can someone pls help me out in finding out a way to recover a huge data from that partition... it is around some 6 gb of data and and the file names in the lost+folder r amazing .... and i'm not able to make out any thing from it ...

pls help me out to find the way for recovering it ..

Do you have any form of backup which might give you a clue as to filenames (from file sizes perhaps) of the files in lost+found?

I am afraid that i don't have any backup for the file, & one thing more is c1t0d0s0 is my boot disk.

Why did you go to an alternate superblock? Where did you get the number 32768?

System was not booting, when i boot the system from cdrom single user mode. I try to run fsck for c1t0d0s0, it was giving the command to run
#fsck -F [UFS] -o b=#inode [target] like this
then i run the command to gain super bloack inode #
#newfs -N /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0
which give me different super block inodes, & i place this inode at above command for b=...

I was hoping you would say that you ran newfs -N to find the alternate superblock... Sounds like your hard drive is gone... Out of the 10 or more times I got the message to try an alternate superblock, I can only recall the alternate superblock working once...

did you try installing a new bootblk after you assigned the new superblock?

thanks

ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back