Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent question about Microsoft SUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
We, ve been running MS SUS for about 6 months now. The server checks for new updates on a daily basis, and I check for new updates to approve every other day or so.

Today I decided to check the windows update web site to see if anything was out there and to my suprise there were 13 critical updates avaliable. So I went off to my SUS web page to check if there are any unapproved update which there were not. Seemed kinda odd that there are critical update out there, the first of which is dated 2/22/2005, that aren't on my SUS server.

So I check the logs in my server and this is all I see for the past 7 days:

Code:
Automatic Sync Started- Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:00:03 AM 
       Software Update Services is up to date. No changes were required during  synchronization. 
Sync Finished-Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:00:33 AM

I checked my options to see if there anything odd in there, but nothing. I also did a manual sync and nothing new appeared for approval.

Why is my machine saying that it doesn't have these 13 updates from windowsupate.microsoft.com? Souldn't my SUS be getting them? Any ideas?

Thanks

-Al

One thought is:

If a machine hasn't been rebooted since its last update, it will not install any more updates until it has been rebooted.

Check the logs on your workstation (not your server) to see what the workstation is saying.

Could it be that your critical updates are new versions of already approved update?
Goto "Set options">>"Select how you want to handle new versions of previously approved updates:" to see if you have the radio button "Automatically approve new versions of previously approved updates" on.
If you have this selected then you will not be asked to approve the update.

When I get a new update my SUS server shows (Approved, New) or something like that and I have to approve them again. That's ok though, I like to look at all updates before I approve them.

-Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back