Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

urgent problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratbs75

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2001
BE
Hi all...

here my problem: I'm running an HP/Compaq server ML370G3. I had 2 arrays configuerd in mirroring (array A - 2 disks mirroring, array B - 2 disks mirroring)

Now this morning, when NT startet it stopped and said a file (ntdoskernel.exe or so) is corruptet... repair option didn't helped as he can't find any disks (even with option 8 when launching nt server cd to add the additional scsi driver)

Any way.... i just put another disk in it, removed the 4 others out, and reinstall with smart start again an NT4 on it.

Now my following problem which is the most important point: is there a way, later once nt4 is running again on the brand new disk, to retrieve any date from the 4 other disks???? Please help, getting crazy here....

Many thnx in advance

Right, first off, if this happens again and it is not a hardware issue, then you need to get your hands on a Windows 2000 CD/2003 or XP. This has a handy util in setup called Recovery Console which allows you boot to dos prompt and get into your installation of NT etc. From here you could copy NTOSKRNL.exe from somewhere else into the correct locaton and this would have fixed the problem.

If you have installed onto another disk and took all the others out, I would suggest (as long as you have not changed the setup in CACU) putting the other disks back in and performing the above. If you cannot find a CD as described above try installing a parallel version of NT4 Server (install to a different location on the same disk) (a basic build would do the trick) and you should be able to manipulate the files required.

All this is assuming it is not a hardware fault, if it is let me know and I will go through another few things with you.

hi, thnx, butn, not sure to understand it all.... meanwhile i setup a running nt4 (no 2K nor 2K3 because my boss doesn't wan't to... i know, don't say it...)....

nt4sp6 runs fine now... can i simply insert an 'old' disk? Well, i can insert it, already tried, was not recon by NT (normal), so i went to the controller config, but, what do i need to to, create with this 'old' disk to be read, a new logical drive? Will it then be readable under nt again? (i just need its date...)

thnxs in advance

No, what I meant was use the W2K3/W2K CD to boot into its setup and among their is the recovery console option. Going into this will ask you what installation of NT to enter, select the correct one and then enter the password of the local admin account or domain admin account.

Using this does not install W2K3 or W2K.

Anyway, if you do not want to use that method, and the problem is not hardware, you could try the following (assuming CACU is setup the same, ie Array A and B both mirrored with same sized disks):

1-Shut down server
2-Take out new disks insert old hard disks
3-Install NT4 to another directory (the parallel install)
4-Expand the NTOSKRNL.EXE from the install CD and then copy to the original install location (for instance c:\winnt\system32
5-Reboot server and select correct install from Boot.INI when asked
6-When you have confirmed that it is working you can get rid of the new installation

Hope this helps, let me know

well, then i'd stuck on option 3, as the normal NT server cd doesn't work, only with that SmartStart, but this erases the disk volumes...

Anyway, now I'm no more trying to get the old install, just got a problem to get the old disks to be read, i do not understand how to configure it...

Anyway, i'm gonna work the whole night today :s

Why does it not work? Is it not bootable? If it isn't, try creating the boot floppys.

To do this you need three blank floppies. Insert the NT4 CD into a PC and exit out of the setup.

Go into a command prompt and cd to your CD drive and then find whereabouts winnt32.exe resides and CD into this location, type winnt32 /ox

This should create your boot floppies for you and hopefully will allow you to install NT without the need for the SmartStart.

Hope this helps.

If you do not want to go through this, then the method of recreating the array B and then using disk admin to recreate the volumne on the new disks and then shutdown and insert old disks. As I said this could cause issue with the old disks (like wipe them), just do not put a Pagefile on these disks for now either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back