Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT: problem migrating to service pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMichel

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
BE
I'm trying to deploy windows service pack 2 in our enterprise.
SMS 2003 is used for this deployment.
Deployment fails on a lot of computers (50%). Installation exits with error code -1073741819
Installations hangs after hotfix migration
After reboot computer is running under service pack 2 !!!

Log file ends with the following lines:

======================================================

1493.859: MigrateHotfix: Migrating hotfix KB921398
1493.875: Migrating QFE KB921398 with command line: update.exe -Z -Q -B:sp2rtm
1503.234: MigrateHotfix: Hotfix KB921398 successfully migrated
1503.234: MigrateHotfixes: Return code: 3010
1503.234: MigrateHotfix: Migrating hotfix KB921883
1503.250: Migrating QFE KB921883 with command line: update.exe -Z -Q -B:sp2rtm
1511.687: MigrateHotfix: Hotfix KB921883 successfully migrated
1511.687: MigrateHotfixes: Return code: 3010
1511.687: MigrateHotfix: Migrating hotfix KB922616
1511.687: Migrating QFE KB922616 with command line: update.exe -Z -Q -B:sp2rtm
1519.921: MigrateHotfix: Hotfix KB922616 successfully migrated
1519.921: MigrateHotfixes: Return code: 0

==========End of log ====================

Do a search of the logs and see if you can pickup a reference to "1073741819".

Searching that number via MSKB leads to articles about the Sasser Worm?

What You Should Know About Sasser

Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885894)

In your Windows folders will be the Service Pack logs which may contain information that might be helpful.
Locate the Windows XP SP2 Setup log files. The Setup program logs information about the Windows XP SP2 installation to the following log files: • Setupapi.log • Svcpack.log.

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

Thanks for the information. I'll check if sasser has something to do with that.

Do I have to disable anti-virus software and automatic update (we use WSUS) before installing the service pack ?

It (disabling Anti Virus, and other similar types of security software) is one of the first things to check if you have any problems installing a ServicePack or any other type of updates. There is no need to disable Automatic Updates.

Fundamentally the error is a critical error of unknown source.

So you have to make some guesses. My guess is a versioning error. I would not try merging all the post-SP2 Hotfixes into the SP2 image itself. Let WSUS do most of the work.
You can see if a qfecheck between working and non-working computers provides any insights:

The use of qchain could help:

Thanks linney, yes for the second link your link was what I was intending to refer to.

As you can see there can be several different causes for versioning differences if QCHAIN.EXE is not used.

It's seems that the error is related to a specific computer model (IBM 8184). Is it a driver issue ?

What do IBM or Microsoft have to say about the problem?

A couple of things to look at.

Device drivers known to cause instability in Windows XP Service Pack 2

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2

885626 - Your computer stops responding when you restart to complete the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2

Hi !

Here is an update !

It seems that this issue is related with the amount of hotfixes to migrate. If there is more thant 52 hotfixes to migrate the installation will fail.

Removing some updates ramdomly will allow the SP2 to install

Michel

Was that feedback (thanks) based on something you discovered yourself, or do you have some documentation that you can link forum members to?

I'm having contacts with microsoft premier support.
They told me that other customers get similar problem since october (after applying the latest security patches).
If you apply the same patches on a new machine upgrade works fine. On older machine (that receive all patches since SP1 was released), checking svcpack.log shows that installation hangs afer 52 hotfixes migrations.

I've send all information to Microsoft so that they can reproduce the problem and I'm waiting for an answer.

I will let you know their conclusion as soon as I get it.

Hi,

Microsoft sent me a new version of the update.exe that solves this problem. SP2 will be repackaged with the new update.exe soon.

Regards,

Michel

Great news, thank you very much. We've been going crazy trying to find a particular patch for this when we started seeing the exact same error the week Oct. patches were pushed.

Turns out, it wasn't a particular patch but the number of patches. Great job.

Is MS going to post this update.exe change on their site?

Received from Microsoft support:

"...The development team have issued a new version of update.exe. ... This is an interim fix while the full SP2 package is recreated and tested. I'm not sure how much
longer it will be before this is issued ..."

Thanks for the update. I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on this.

What footprints are you using to verify that the machines are in fact a legit SP2 machine?

Ours have the uninstall string, report back as SP2 in the deployment console and system properties but now we're trying to find out if it's a true upgrade.

How are you doing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back