Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

{URGENT} PC Won't Boot suspected hard drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSRez

Programmer
Dec 22, 2004
EU
Hi,

A few months ago my PSU blew so I replaced it with a 300W one. Since then, while booting my PC, the system would often shut itself down and I would have to turn it off at the PSU for about 15 seconds before I could turn it on again for it to boot normally. The occurance of this problem seemed to increase slowly over the months until last Saturday the system would not boot what-so-ever. When I turn it on it simply makes a tone noise like a beep and switches off again. I have discovered that by removing the secondary HDD (slave - contains OS and important files), leaving the primary HDD (master) the PC would be able to stay on without shutting straight down again. With the secondary HDD on its own the system would shut down as before. I also unplugged all CD-Drives and the floppy drive from the power to ensure these weren't causing the system to have a lack of power at start-up. This didn't help either.

Since, I have restationed the secondary HDD and removed the primary from the case entirely while checking if the secondary HDD had any obvious physical problems or excess dust. It did not, but still the system fails to switch on.

I am running out of ideas on what I can do now. I was thinking of powering the HDD with another PC's PSU and switching the two PCs on to see if that would help or swapping the HDD into another PC but I'm a bit worried that damage might be caused.

The system's specs are:

AMD Duron 900Mhz
384 MB SDRAM
1 x Segate 20GB HDD (master)
1 x Maxtor 80GB HDD (slave)
300W "generic" PSU

GeForce 3 Ti500
Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 (Neither of these components have been removed)

Please help me out with this as my work is severly restricted without access to my files, so it is VITAL that I get the system working again.

Thanks in advance.

If you suspect your hard drives are failing better test those drives into another machine. If your drives will be successfuly accessed into the other machines then your problem must be because of the power supply unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back